Simple DIY Motor Bracket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple DIY Motor Bracket ?

Curious about something : Do any of you hobbyist's fabricate your own, Motor Brackets, for 1/32 scratch build's ??
    Maybe from sheet brass ? I'm talking as basic and simple as possible ! How would that be done, as far as alignment, pitch, and stuff.
    No complaints about the JK brackets that I use. Just would like to know, how to possibly fabricate my own !

ps : I've even heard of scratch build's done without a motor bracket, which is confusing.

I've never bought a motor bracket but made a few from square section brass tube.
    Kevan - Isle of Man
    Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Several folks do, or, have made their own motor brackets, mostly out of brass. Dennis Samson (Gascarnut on the Forum) used to make/sell them....not sure if he still does

A sidewinder bracket is quite simple, as you only need a small straight piece of brass drilled to accept the boss of the can bushing, and the can can then be soldered directly to the bracket, which is soldered to the main chassis rail(s)
      If you wish to screw the motor can to the bracket, (a very good idea) holes must be drilled into the bracket to accept motor screws.

An inline bracket is a touch more complex as precise measurements must be made,.......if you have one of the JK brackets, you can carefully measure all the dimensions and hole positions and transfer these to a piece of brass, bend, and you are in business.
      You can also use a piece of "square" brass tube, which will eliminate the need for any bending (highly recommended !!)

While making your own inline brackets is rewarding, for the price of a commercial bracket (JK, RGEO, etc.) you may be better off buying them.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

This is a simple sidewinder bracket that I made,......patterned after a bracket available from JK.
      I did make the can bushing and motor screw holes "oval" to allow for fine motor position adjustments and possible gear ratio changes.

You could solder the can end of the motor directly to one of the main chassis rails (without using the motor bracket) on the chassis below, but this method would really need a brace soldered to the back edge of the motor can to the rear axle tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-27.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.7 KB ID:	156725

A homemade inline bracket............a bit hard to see from this angle, but it is drilled to accept motor screws. While it was neat to make, for the effort involved, I mostly use commercially available brackets.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-13-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	243.1 KB ID:	156726

Chassis like the following allow the motor to be soldered directly to the chassis without using a motor bracket...........that said, the motor box area is designed with specific motor box angles and braces on the motor box area to hold the motor in its specific location,..............I would seriously suggest that for you first several chassis that you incorporate a motor bracket, and, one using motor screws to secure the motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vyrp12-157-RH-ES32-2016-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	308.3 KB ID:	156727
      Last edited by chrisguyw; April 2, 2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
        6666hotrod commented
        Editing a comment
        Chris, 'You 'Da Man, dude !! ....and, yeah, for the money, buy a JK bracket : but it's gotta feel pretty darn good, successfully doing your own. Your photos always beautifully illustrate what you are saying !!

6666hotrod,..........it is also worth looking at the RGEO inline motor brackets,.........available in both 3/4" and 1" widths.

Not sure if any of the regular shops here have them, but, they are available at "PCH Slot Parts" in the US,......I am sure other shops have them as well....apologies to any I have not mentioned !!

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Comment

Chassis was for a OZ Tasman proxy in 2020.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20220222_105945.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	156814
        Home made inline bracket with components shown.
        Bracket is soldered together as you are making the chassis
        Bearing holes are oversize and bearings are set by using an axle and two rims of the correct size to set the height as it is soldered into chassis.
        Slot is to allow motor removal after pinion has been installed.
        Dennis M
        Adelaide, SA, OZ

Comment

• 6666hotrod
          6666hotrod commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, Dennis : well thought-out !!
      Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1