Motor Brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Brackets

I do my inline scratch builds with the JK C86, one inch wide motor bracket. However, my upcoming project, has a vintage, Very narrow body. To comfortably get he wheels/tires within the body, I'd like to use the JK C82, 3/4 inch wide, F1/Indy motor bracket ! But I can't get a good explanation, of what that "hypoid offset", means. If my axle and crown gear aren't gonna line up correctly, I can't use this bracket. Need experienced advice !

If you go to Slot Car Corner they have the offset crown gears listed in the gears section. I think you just use regular pinion.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
      6666hotrod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Hypoid means the pinion shaft of the motor is below the axle center line. That calls for gears that have teeth cut on an angle. That's what it meant in the 60's. I guess today it's the same thing. The purpose is to have a lower center of gravity.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

When 48 pitch gears are used, the 3/4" wide hypoid bracket will work with an angled pinion & an ordinary straight cut crown. 1" wide hypoid brackets (C87) are also available from JK.

Comment

Thanks for that Bill.
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

Go to post #6 in this thread to see what Ramcatlarry does. A lot of guys do this from what I've heard. http://slotblog.net/topic/42481-hypoid-set-up/
          Butch Dunaway
          Oxford, Ohio

Comment

For the JK C82 "offset/Hypoid" motor bracket, you have some options as far as gearing.

1/ You can use a Slot-it 5.5mm pinion with a Slot-it "offset" Crown, (these come in tooth counts from 23T to 30T).........this will mesh well and allow to to use the trough in the Crown gear and the motor shaft to regulate the mesh. If using this option, the Crown must be positioned on the right hand side (passenger side) of the chassis

2/ You can use a 48P angled pinion (ARP make the best), coupled with a Parma 48P Crown. This combo will also mesh very well, but, you will need to control the lateral movement of the rear axle with spacers, and then set the mesh.

If you are trying to get the best mesh/performance (for serious racing) option #2 is the way to go,......for having fun at home and for less than top notch racing, option #1 will be more than acceptable.

To be honest, for what you are likely to do, I would go with option #1.

Cheers
            Chris Walker
            Last edited by chrisguyw; March 10, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
              6666hotrod commented
              Editing a comment
              Really appreciate those details !

I didn't realize heat could make a straight pitch gear mesh if it was off center. I heat many crown gear edges to smooth out mesh. I've never tried heating the pinion. Probably I would burn up the gear or something!
            Matt B
            So. In
            Crashers

Comment

The use of a match or lighter to heat a crown for better gear mesh is a vintage tip from the 60s. As is the use of toothpaste to break-in gears.

Comment

I think using toothpaste is a waste of good toothpaste.
                Butch Dunaway
                Oxford, Ohio

Comment

I use a butane torch to heat the top edge and back side of a crown gear.
                  Matt B
                  So. In
                  Crashers

Comment

• Michael Squier
                    Michael Squier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting, do you heat it while it’s spinning break it in?
                Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1