LVJ Chassis update, and Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVJ Chassis update, and Question

I was recently advised to call Slot Car Corner, and request help/advice on the needed parts, to build this chassis project. Wouldn't you know, once I decided to take this advice, I discovered that the folks at Slot Car Corner are on a much-needed vacation ! BUT : I soon after, discovered a VIDEO, put out by the folks I was going to buy the chassis itself from, anyway !! Smith Scale Speedway, has a video of exactly how to build the LVJ Charger chassis, into a SCALE racer, parts and numbers, and all. I have decided on the LVJ Cruiser chassis, which is the same, but instead of 2 1/2 inches wide, the Cruiser is 2 inches wide, which works better, for me ! Here's the thing : I had to make two separate orders, because at the time of my order, the Rear wheels/tires (Pro Track N219 Daytona Stockers), were out of stock, until the end of the week. I received an email yesterday, informing me that the wheels/tires are in. So I've made my second order. I didn't order pinion gears or crown gears, because I have quite a few of each, brand new, from Smith AND Slot Car Corner. A little after I made my second order yesterday, It Hit Me : I'm dealing with a 1/8th axle ! I'd really hate ordering one Crown Gear (or likely two), and having to pay that postage, which will be twice the price of the crown gear. And then have to wait on it, to get here. My Strange question : Can one of my brand new 3/32 crown gears, be altered with a reamer, or drill bit, to fit those 1/8th axles, I have on the way ?? I know I'm gonna end up having to order that crown gear, but I just Had to ask.

Originally posted by 6666hotrod View Post
    My Strange question : Can one of my brand new 3/32 crown gears, be altered with a reamer, or drill bit, to fit those 1/8th axles, I have on the way ?? I know I'm gonna end up having to order that crown gear, but I just Had to ask.
    You certainly can bore out the 3/32 gear to 1/8,.....but,........ by doing it by hand (reamer/drill etc.) you run the very (very) real risk of not getting the bore perfectly sized or straight........so it all depends on how well you want your car to perform

Spend the few extra bucks and get a proper 1/8 bore Crown

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

• 6666hotrod
      6666hotrod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Chris !

Unless you are into serious competition, You might try drilling one out. Not much to lose if it's not right. Use a drill press and vice if you have them. If you have a plain old vice put it in thee, but don't press it too tight. If none of this is possible, hold the boss with a pair of pliars and use a portable drill. You say you have plenty of gears, so doing this will let you not get helpd up waiting for parts and if it doesn't work you're not out much.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

• 6666hotrod
      6666hotrod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, much !

I'd like to extend my appreciation, to Chris Walker and MattB for helping me, several times ! I've decided I'd better go ahead and get me an order submitted, for That Crown Gear, though 😀 : probably best to not butcher one of my new gears, and risk ending up frustrated, anyway.

Comment

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like the smart choice. Odds of drilling it out properly on your own would be unlikely as I see it. Any error will mean the gear is going to wobble and create problems. No big deal sacrificing a single crown gear, but then you'd still be ordering the correct ones and being even further behind.
Working...
X
UA-149438709-1