Piano Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano Wire

Done maybe 7 to 8 searches, and just can not get a straight answer, to a simple and direct question : Will painting Piano Wire, after it's been soldered, Prevent It From Rusting ?? (The reason I won't use it for scratchbuilding, is because it sounds like a Pain, after your 'build ! If simply Painting It, prevents this, I could really use it. Thanks, in advance, guys and gals !

I have painted chassis and they last very well
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

If piano wire is cleaned after soldering, it will not rust.........I have plenty of 30+ year old piano wire chassis with no rust.

If you choose to paint the chassis, that is fine, but again, it must be fully cleaned/primed before painting.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

I do not have any handy pics. of really old chassis, but, this one was built close to 15yrs. ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-12-20-10-38-55.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	149447

Comment

• 6666hotrod
        6666hotrod commented
        Editing a comment
        This is Seriously Helpful !

Rustoleum may have a paint you can use, you may need to use a primer first. Be sure to clean your work well first.

Comment

As been noted a few times already, cleaning the chassis with soap and water before painting is key, especially if you used any soldering acid when building the chassis.
        Dickie Pearson
        Canterbury, NH

HOST - Home Operated Slot Tracks
        MSR - Main Street Racing

Comment

Chrisguyw is right - I think the acid and flux is the enemy so a clean up afterward is the way to go.

They do sell stainless steel music wire as well, so something else to play with.
          Last edited by Vintage 1/24; February 12, 2022, 07:06 PM.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• 6666hotrod
            6666hotrod commented
            Editing a comment
            W O W : I may have just Found My Answer ! !

If you're cleaning joints made using an acid flux, it's a good idea to wash them down with a mixture of baking soda & tap water. The baking soda neutralizes the acid. When I build, I keep a mixture handy to use continuously. I don't paint chassis because when you have to resolder a painted joint, it makes a mess. I had much rather just use metal polish on an old toothbrush for a shine.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
            6666hotrod commented
            Editing a comment
            ...oooh : experience=Teacher !! Wow !

When building a modified you want a painted chassis
          Dave
          Peterborough Ont
          CANADA

Comment

I neutralise and clean acid flux with lighter fluid and an old toothbrush.
            Kevan - Isle of Man
            Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Good suggestions. Thanks
              Scott C.
              Amherst, WI
              Just "a simple kind of man".

Comment

Between this thread and Harry's video, I'll have to try the baking soda for neutralization
                TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                Warren, Ohio

Comment

Just a tid bit of humor for the morning coffee! Have you ever walked in to a hobby store and ask for piano wire? And get a blank stare???? Well I just moved to a town in New Jersey and went to my LHS yes a local hobby shop and asked where the piano wire was and got the dreaded blank stare... Explained to him what I needed and he with the biggest smile ever said OH MUSIC WIRE that's over here!
                  Happy Tuesday!
                  Marty

Comment

You don't play the piano with it, nor make music any other way with it. So why is it called by those two names? A brass rod is a brass rod.

Comment

• Kevan
                      Kevan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And piano wire is piano wire and made of steel not brass.

• JCIS4ME
                      JCIS4ME commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bill,
                      It has always been piano wire to me! But the newer generation calls it music wire! It is actually steel rod material that is stretched in a piano to get the sound needed for "music".
                      Cheers
                      Marty
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1