Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assembling a Slot car : Is it difficult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembling a Slot car : Is it difficult?

Hello Slotcar afficionados, I wanted to buy a specific slotcar but its no longer available. Doing some research and I found that all the parts are available separately. The body, chassis, motor, running gear, wheels , tyres etc. The only thing that is assembled is the body which is painted and fully decalled. My question : Is it difficult to assemble all those parts without any prior experience nor diagram/instructions to follow. Maybe a video on youtube could give me a better idea about what to expect. Surely no engineering degree is needed ? LOL Any feedback would be appreciated.

Originally posted by VermillionRed View Post
    Hello Slotcar afficionados, I wanted to buy a specific slotcar but its no longer available. Doing some research and I found that all the parts are available separately. The body, chassis, motor, running gear, wheels , tyres etc. The only thing that is assembled is the body which is painted and fully decalled. My question : Is it difficult to assemble all those parts without any prior experience nor diagram/instructions to follow. Maybe a video on youtube could give me a better idea about what to expect. Surely no engineering degree is needed ? LOL Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Knowing what the car is may be helpful in finding answers to your question.
    The Jester
    of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
    the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      Typically, about a foot shorter than needed.

Give us some information to work with so we can help you.
    And BTW, buying a slot car one piece at a time can turn into an expensive slot car...

Scott
    Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Why not watch Ebay for the car you want?
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

• VermillionRed
        VermillionRed commented
        Editing a comment
        I try every now and then. The slotcar is a Porsche 962 IMSA from BRM in 1/24. They were produced a while back.

The basic answer to the original question is no, it's not hard to assemble a slot car. You can use an existing car as a guide to what goes where. You may need tools designed for small parts but they can be acquired easily. If soldering is needed you can even learn to do that with a little practice.

Once you reveal more about the type of car someone can offer explicit advice.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice . The car in question is a Porsche 962 IMSA made by BRM in scale 1/24.

Comment

Originally posted by VermillionRed View Post
          Thanks for all the advice . The car in question is a Porsche 962 IMSA made by BRM in scale 1/24.
          what model are you looking for?
          THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
          Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

The Lowenbrau livery

Comment

• FC47
              FC47 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a beauty, I built that as an anglewinder...

They're not hard, and Alan out in Tacoma is plenty of help, good setup scoop archives over on SCI. I've bought or built the 9 or ten of em here amongst the rest in Group C....and the others..
            Hopefully pictures will be around soon from the Toy Fair next week of the solid rumored new liveries and cars in class🤞

Edit: Though Alan is busy out there,...they used to build them for a small set fee, if you gave him the time to get to it, I would bet given a few weeks or so he might take it on...
            but as said it's straightforward and not difficult

Cheers,
            Paul
            Last edited by FC47; January 26, 2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

132Slotcar still has kits on it’s website. A downright bargain considering some people are asking $500 for the same on the auction sight.
              Get a body from him, if he can source, or another supplier and go for it!
              I’m told the hardest job is setting up the gear mesh. I was told to set it tight and run in at low voltage using toothpaste on the teeth.
              Impressive car, as are all of the 962s.
              Last edited by WB2; January 27, 2022, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Yep, some of what's left out there of the early generations has gotten nutty for money. Good point on toothpaste and gear lash, especially to compete the car. Racing results have had at times a well tuned inline beating the angles.. my angle 88C's are the fiercest of the bunch,
                mark the crown with a sharpie dot for its tightest mesh, either config, set that point to almost no lash, bit of lube (paste-should you choose) run it some, check lash, repeat, (clean from paste).
                Anglewinder -patiently shim the the 'dotted' gear/spur to meet the pinion with almost no lash, run it in, adjust to minimal lash.
                The cars really perform well, and either configuration once in the sweet range the cars very noticeably come alive.
                See if you want to have Alan outfit a build, I had one done early on, as his time reasonably permits.
                He is certainly all about his cars.

Cheers,
                Last edited by FC47; January 27, 2022, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• FC47
                  FC47 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you have Alan build one you'll love it.
                  If you buy all the bits,
                  (cost nearly the same)..
                  I'll tear down a car and post it..
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1