Voltage dropping device, it works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage dropping device, it works.

I just got this little voltage adjusting device, so far it works great and now I’m able to drop down to the 11 or so that most people seem to be using. Its only rated for 2-3 amps so I wouldn’t advise it for big tracks. It was a bargain also, 2 for $12. Shown here with my 40+ year old power supply.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ED8D33D6-B142-4970-80BD-069251DBB0D4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	517.4 KB
ID:	144119
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DD57439E-F7E0-4399-BFE5-615DD23D8535.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	144120

Interesting! Thank you for finding this.

Scott
    Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to add, it’s an LM2696 buck coverter. I got it on Amazon. Someone in another post in the HO section suggested it.

3A is more than enough for the standard motors we use in 1/32 hard body cars, modern ones draw up to 1.5A on the start line and the old SCX external brush motors draw about 2A
    Kevan - Isle of Man
    Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Paul Miller has used these for a long time and posted about it here. I finally broke down and put them on my track, One on each lane. Each one is adjusted until the same cars runs the same lap time on every lane. Middle lanes are below 12 volts and outer lanes run full 12 volts. Test run a car for our minimum lap time of 4.15 and t will run 4.12-4.18 on any lane, This makes for close racing. I think I got some that were little higher amp rating. They came from Amazon, also. It takes some time to adjust and get dialed in, but once done, it's done.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

• Michael Squier
        Michael Squier commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s kind of why I got this one, it was a two pack. I think I’ll put the other inline with the stock Scalextric wall transformer and I should be able to turn it down close enough. It’s got more voltage than my 12 volt set up.

Yup, congrats on finding something that works! I use them at my driver stations. I did a big write up on it on the old HRW site under DIY Adjustable Power.
      Maybe one of the mods can move it back over here if they want.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
      https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

• Michael Squier
        Michael Squier commented
        Editing a comment
        Works well and very easy to use. Now I need to get used to my cars having less power, throttle sooner and brake later. Maybe that will help me tune my next proxy car a little better. Lol
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1