Corvette Shootout home track solo event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette Shootout home track solo event

For Christmas all my Corvettes except the NSR got new tires. All Paul Gage firm using the sizes recommended on SCC site. So with new tires on I decided I need to do a fastest lap comparison. All run for 50 laps on my short 21’ track. No magnets 🧲. The results were surprising, most of them knocked a few hundreds off their times.
    Final results:
    SCX C6R. 2.23. NSR C6R. 2.24. Scalextric L88. 2.33. FLY. C5. 2.58. Monogram Greenwood. 2.66

Just tires made a huge improvement overall, a few of these were over 3 seconds with the stock tires. The Scalextric could barely go down a straight section without fishtailing at a modest speed. The Fly has no fine tuning and I think it’s got some more speed in it. The SCX always impresses me, with the new tires it looks and sounded slow, yet beat out the uber quick NSR. Good fun here at the test track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D38A2BE-1144-49B7-BD0B-CCABA124218C.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	140789

Nice job Michael. It is amazing just how much tires make.
    Dave
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Nice! Yes, tires #1 for sure. Always liked that Greenwood Corvette👍🏻

Comment

• Michael Squier
        Michael Squier
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Michael Squier commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the Greenwood has more in it. This one is unmodified and doesn’t even have any ballast in it. A bit of weight might get it to hook up better and catch up with its L88 completion. If not, oh well it’s still a fun car. If I squint right its like I’m back in time and John Greenwood is thundering by.

This is similar to how I solo race on my tracks. Shelby-Hendrix Speedway is a 57 1/2 foot multilevel road course. I assemble fields of similar cars (Trans Am, Le Mans, or Can Am) and run each of them for a predetermined number of laps. Starting positions are determined by a qualification session or points earned from prior races. Grids are inverted so slower cars or those with fewest points are up front. The race clock is at zero when the first car crosses the start line to begin the race. A slight random delay is added as each additional car starts the race to spread them out. The individual lap times for each car are recorded and summed to determine each car's current position as the race progresses. Each car has faster cars behind it trying to move forward so speed is important but so is staying on the track since the delay associated with a deslot will mean losing many positions.

A full race grid typically consists of 20 cars so a 100 lap race requires recording 2000 individual lap times in 20 - 25 lap sessions per car. Long sessions of collecting race data are followed by intriguing sessions seeing how the race progresses and concludes. Solo racing can be very challenging and very fun.

Comment

• Michael Squier
        Michael Squier
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Michael Squier commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you on a digital track? That sounds neat and slightly confusing. I’m analog and just run one car at a time. My notes are a scattered mess of post its, I need to make a scoring chart and print it out.

• slothead
        slothead
        HRW Forum Veteran
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a solo analog guy who makes up for not having peers by having a system that includes racing factors to make outcomes unpredictable. Having been involved with data processing and research for years I love wrestling with complexity. I use spreadsheets to compile and process much of my data and also a program I wrote for the actual race simulations. BUT, Barry Boor (I recommend his website) was my inspiration and he replicated decades of F1 racing using a stopwatch, pencil and paper.

• Michael Squier
        Michael Squier
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Michael Squier commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, confusing. For now I think I’ll stick with FTD. I only have a simple lap counter/ timer. It only keeps the fastest lap and total time. Something for future upgrades though.

Slothead always makes it confusing. He's so busy calculating laps and times the other cars drive by him in our proxies.
      BOSS Dave..
      Dave
      Saginaw Valley Raceway
      Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

• slothead
        slothead
        HRW Forum Veteran
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it is challenging to drive while balancing a laptop and working on a spreadsheet. But, that doesn't mean I can't try. Up here in Maine you can be ticketed for holding a cellphone while driving so I limit my distracted driving to slot cars.

• Michael Squier
        Michael Squier
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Michael Squier commented
        Editing a comment
        Slothead, I read some of Barry Boors website and am a bit less confused now. I might be able to organize my events a bit better using some of his ideas. But I’m not recreating a full season of any real series, wow that took some serious slot car dedication.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1