A.J. Foyt slot cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.J. Foyt slot cars

Foyt is certainly one the very best American race car drivers ever. Problem is, I don't have him on any of my racing roster for either oval or road course cars. I think Foyt is a listed driver for one or two Fly Le Mans Ford GT40 replicas. (He did win the race once with co-driver Dan Gurney.)

Anyone know of RTR slot car Foyt replicas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	c3725.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	140794
    Mark

Comment

• slothead
      slothead
      HRW Forum Veteran
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      I was enticed by this car but do think the driver was Swede Savage. I've downloaded all of the SCCA Trans Am race reports from this era and will verify that.

I have that Camaro too.

The back of the case says Swede Savage drove the car at Watkins Glen in 1971.

Maybe A.J. sponsored it?

Comment

Name:	iu.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	140828
      (Photo from past eBay listing)
      Mark

Comment

• BIG E
        BIG E
        HRW Forum Veteran
        BIG E commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey! I've got that decal on one of my HO slot car boxes. I think it's the larger of the PLANO boxes I started using in the late seventies. Don't know if Mr. Foyt still has the dealership or not, it's been quite a while since I've purchased anything from their merchandise catalog. Still my favorite American driver, with the late Mr. Gurney a very close second. Glad to say I've had the pleasure of a handshake and conversation with both men on more than one occasion. -- Ernie

I painted this one using a Carrera Torino and decals I ordered off eBay.

Tony
      Pass Christian, MS

Comment

• slothead
        slothead
        HRW Forum Veteran
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for posting these photos. I might end up doing something like this too since Carrera Torinos and decals are available.

Probably my favorite...

Name:	SICA25F.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	140841
      DAVE - MI, USA

Comment

• slothead
        slothead
        HRW Forum Veteran
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Unfortunately all my cars are from the era between mid-60s and mid-70s, essentially matching the classic Trans Am and Can Am years. I also have a Le Mans series and Grand National - NASCAR series that span the same era.

Bearcat did the ‘64 Indy winner.
      ProtoSlot did the Lotus 40 (Electric Dreams has it for only $249.99. On eBay at less than half that right now.)
      MRRC did the MkIV Ford that won LeMans. NSR did the same car in a set (make sure you look at the #1 car as they also did a red #4).
      Scalextric Conseco Pontiac. A bit new at 2001.
      WB2
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Last edited by WB2; January 5, 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• slothead
        slothead
        HRW Forum Veteran
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I'll check out the MRRC Ford GT MkIV since I already have several competitive MRRC Chaparrals in my Le Mans series.

I was hoping either Revell-Monogram or Carrera had made a classic stock car for which Foyt was the driver of record. Over the past year or so I've acquired a bunch of the classic Revell-Monogram NASCARs and was hoping there might be a Ford Galaxie or Fairlane livery of a Foyt car. I also continue to buy Carrera releases of cars from this era and remain hopeful they may offer a Foyt Torino at some point.

A.J. Foyt won the 1972 Daytona 500 driving a #21 Wood Brothers '71 Mercury Cyclone.

Name:	72 Daytona 500 Foyt Cyclone.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	140858

I already made a version of this car using a Proxie Models Cyclone body mounted on a Pioneer Charger chassis. The body came with decals to make the David Pearson livery. I still have one unused Cyclone body and Pioneer chassis that I could use to make a duplicate using SlotCar Fever decals for the Foyt car. However I'd rather not have 2 essentially identical cars in the series so I'll also consider repainting a Carrera Torino or Revell-Monogram Ford.

Name:	Foyt '67 Fairlane #27.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	140859

Comment

• WB2
        WB2
        HRW Forum Veteran
        WB2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Since I’m more of a USAC stock car fan, I’d suggest a Carrera Talledega done up in #1 or #11 livery. Decals are readily available and the car is white.
        As you mentioned, Foyt stepped into some top rides for the bigger races, those cars being close to other cars that ran in the series. Same for Dan Gurney at Riverside running Wood Brothers cars.

• BIG E
        BIG E
        HRW Forum Veteran
        BIG E commented
        Editing a comment
        If you watch the very end of the old movie "Red Line 7000" you'll see my man A.J. in a '65 Ford Galaxie #00, flipping end over end, digging into the dirt at Riverside.
        Mr. Foyt broke his back in that one. Ouch! -- Ernie :>)

I believe he also drove the Hussein (not an RTR, but a 3DP file is available) as well as a Lola T70 spyder (repaint a Revellogram?).
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
      https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Name:	iu.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	140948

(...time-shared from the web )
        Mark

Comment