Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bal r 14
    commented on 's reply
    I tune the crap out of my Fly cars. Basically all that's stock is the body, the front wheels and most of the chassis. The basic chassis is clean and flat, so you have something to work with.

• wrangler#3
    replied
    FLYs are fun to tune, with so many tweaks to play for weight or gear ratio, depending on class allowances. Great detail in the liveries.

NSRs will always be considered by me to simply be a race-ready car, where we have high expectations for good quality clean racing because they handle so well (and tape the bottom if one needs it) Big fan of the baby king swap too. A car that handles better with a little less rpms, if geared correctly, will be faster than a higher rpm motor that is simply too much for some track designs or voltage.

We don't run FLYs with same motor class as NSR GT (nor against each other of course), but even if we did, I would be stunned if the NSR didn't win most times in a 'for the hell of it' test (unless a Mosler lost once in a while ). Very interesting that you got competitive results.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Squier
    replied
    Minor update, since this post I have put homemade foam rings in the air wheels center. On my very short track the contact patch of the NSR was just riding on the edges. On most days the NSR is back ahead of the Fly, but not by much. On a long race these two would be very competitive on my track.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Squier
    commented on 's reply
    I love my NSR, need more of them. It’s fast and grips well, which is why is so fun to tweet a simple Fly GT-40 and give the fancy race car some completion it didn’t expect.

• Bal r 14
    commented on 's reply
    I have a 60' routed track and I run silicone tires on all of my cars. Taping seems to be all most NSR cars need, very little if any weight needed. They are my fastest cars, but can be difficult to handle. I typically run 10 volts.

• silverspringsslotcars
    replied
    I have 3 NSR cars: two 908 and one 917/10. One 908 was bought complete from NSR while the other 2 are built using NSR parts. All have new chassis. One 908 has a black(med) chassis and a blue (soft) pod, the other 908 has a blue chassis and a black pod The 917/10 has a blue chassis and a black pod. All have tape across chassis and pod. I have a 65 ft routed track that is 99% flat and technical. 917 has 25k predator sw geared 11/32. All are stuck to track with no sliding around corners. It appears that putting tape across chassis and pod works wonders. Without tape all slide around corners a little. Track voltage is 12 volts.

Joseph

Leave a comment:

• Michael Squier
    replied
    WB2 Mine is a sidewinder with the 25,000 Shark motor. It’s a handful but fun, faster than anything else I’ve got, but it’s fun to tune up the others and see how they do against the NSR times. The NSR with a few more laps to warm up would do a little better, the Fly is giving me all it’s got for now. I put in a slotting guide and that really made the Fly handle my track better.
    Last edited by Michael Squier; January 2, 2022, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WB2
    replied
    Is the NSR sidewinder or anglewinder?
    On my smallish track, I found an anglewinder NSR to be extremely overpowered for the track. A Baby King calmed it down and made it much more driveable.
    Same with a sidewinder NSR with the 25,000 Shark. Too much power. I tamed it down with an orange Slot It motor.
    Lower powered Flys can excel on a shorter track against higher powered cars.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Squier
    commented on 's reply
    Magless on Scalextric Sport track. It’s a short 21’ course.

• Kevan
    replied
    Mag or magless runs?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Squier
    commented on 's reply
    Solo events can be fun too. Treat yourself to an NSR sometime, I’ve only got the one but it’s really an amazing car. I’m not sure if it’s the tires, the motor, the chassis, I guess it’s the combination but it just flys effortlessly around my track. They Flys cars I have are tough completion though, they do give the expensive car so thing to work for.

• slothead
    replied
    As a fellow solo racer I appreciate you posting this. My Le Mans series (World Sportscar Championship Series) is composed of mostly Fly classics and they run very well against Scalextric, MRRC, and one Carrera Porsche 917K. I don't have any NSR cars, but there are some Slot.It cars in the Can Am series where a Fly 917/10 has come out on top many times.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Squier
    started a topic FLY vs NSR home track solo event.

FLY vs NSR home track solo event.

After a quick tire and guide upgrade on the Fly GT-40 I did a 30 lap test run, then for comparison cleaned the tires on my C6 NSR. Wow big upset for today the little Fly takes the Fast time of the day! 2.2 for Fly 2.24 for NSR. Huge difference putting some new tires and a better guide on this car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	210B1EE9-FBE0-4B96-BDAA-E733B2620BF2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	140316
Working...
X
UA-149438709-1