Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revo Set Screw troubles.

Hi folks,

Santa recently sent me a few new Revo slot cars, and I'm in the process of breaking them all down and making sure they're flat and true. These little 1.5mm allen grub screws are giving me all kinds of grief. They are so tight from the factory they've rounded out every single one of my Harbor Freight allen key sets.

I'm assuming I am also rounding the grub screws to some degree, although I've noticed that "fresh" allen keys are able to get grip, alas, it only takes one super-tight grub screw to ruin the tool.

How do you guys deal with this? I thought the whole point of Allen-head screws was to protect against over-tightening?

Also, any tips on how to loosen them up? (keep in mind that I may be loosening something up that's attached to a significant assembly, like hub, gear, and bushing...)

Thanks in advance.

Well don't take these wrong. but take it from a guy that works with tools all day. Habor freight Hand tools are great for if you need right now but use them once and step up and buy a good quality tool when you can if yor going to be using it more than once. look into buying some good hobbie related drivers from one of the forum forum SPONSORS
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

I too had a issue with a grub screw that would not let go. I was using tools from our sponsors. Great cars but who ever puts them together needs to quit eating his or her spinach.
      Arrold Martin
      Nashville TN

Comment

I have noticed that this is happening across the board, not just Revo ! Maybe the tool that makes the hex in the grub screw is wearing out ? Are they drop forged? Maybe tooling has become flattened and wider from the impact over time!
        I've read other posts about this with other brands on different forums and peaple are trying different brands of tools and having the same results, so it can't be the tool witch Leeds me to this way of thinking , I'm guessing that most slot car manufacturers would be sourcing the hex screw company that's the cheepest to keep costs down so have they all got bad batches?
        Not sure what's going on but that's my thoughts on it!
        Cheers,
        John.

Comment

• RexCadral
          RexCadral
          HRW Podium Poster
          RexCadral commented
          Editing a comment
          My understanding is that allen screws are stamped, which in theory also gives them more strength than if they were machined. I agree though, these are absolute crap. I plan on replacing them with stainless steel ones, which will be harder.

I agree with Rastas point of view on this
        In an attempt to make my own wheels I went to my LHS and bought some grub screws small enough to do the job ( they were intended for an RC helicopter)
        There is a definite difference in the fit of the tool
        Just my 2 cents
        Dave
        Peterborough Ont
        CANADA

Comment

I've replaced all of the screws in my BRM and RevoSlot cars with these Torx head screws. Add a dab of blue loctite when putting them in and they won't back out.
          dinglebery
          HRW Forum Veteran
          Last edited by dinglebery; December 22, 2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• arroldn
            arroldn
            HRW Forum Veteran
            arroldn commented
            Editing a comment
            dinglebery, does no good to have a better hex screw if you can't break the original one free. Anybody have a way to break the darn things loose?

• RexCadral
            RexCadral
            HRW Podium Poster
            RexCadral commented
            Editing a comment
            Good ol' McMaster Carr... I might look for something similar from a more local supplier.

well heat always works on 1 to 1 cars and trucks. maybe take a clean soldering iron and heating up the hub slightly might work.
          THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
          Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Soak them with WD40, let them sit awhile.
            Alternate method, heat. Thermal expansion can be your friend.

Comment

I’d recommend Kroil penetrant but it appears to be hard to find; also pricey.
              I believe it’s a combination of dissimilar metals and overtightening that distorts the threads.
              Count your blessings they weren’t installed crooked.

Comment

use a Dremel to cut a slot in the head, then use a slotted screwdriver

Comment

You do not say which screws you are trying to remove. Just make sure they are Allen Screws!
                One if our guys had trouble only to find out he was using an Allen key in a Torx screw. Some of the Revos have Torx screws in the chassis.

Comment

• RexCadral
                  RexCadral
                  HRW Podium Poster
                  RexCadral commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are the 3mm, 1.5mm head grub screws that are everywhere on a RevoSlot - Wheels, gears, motor mount, even the screw that retains the guide is a 1.5mm allen head. I find that the motor mount screws (ones on the bottom of the car) and the wheel screws give me the most trouble, but even the guide screw has caused me pain on one car.

I have gained a lot of wisdom from lots of old guys over the years one of the best tips: try to tighten the screw first it can help break it loose , then back it out . It works more often than not.

does this make me an old guy?
                Courtney Smith
                Chattanooga TN

Comment

Originally posted by WB2 View Post
                  I’d recommend Kroil penetrant but it appears to be hard to find;
                  Kroil is good stuff, but if you can;t find it, any penetrating oil should help you out - just give it plenty of time to soak in before you have a go at it. I've had trouble with some of those Revo screws too. I'd definitely upgrade your HF tool too.

Bill

Comment

I personally swear by PB Blaster. I carefully spray the contents into a small container with a cap like a medicine bottle, with a hole big enough for the red extension, so as not to get the blaster all over (the stuff really smells!) then use a syringe and apply it directly to the set screw and like "Courtney S" said tighten it first then back it out It usually works for me!
                    My dollar two ninety eigth's worth!
                    Merry Christmas!
                    PEACE LOVE AND PROSPERITY !

Comment

• HO RacePro
                      HO RacePro
                      HRW Forum Veteran
                      HO RacePro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I also recommend PB Blaster -- although PB Blaster sounds like the name of a candy bar.
                      Ed Bianchi

I have good news and bad news...

The good news, you can buy set screws with a Torx drive in an appropriate size -- M3 x 3. They cost about US$1.00 each. Expensive for set screws, but not that much money per car.

The bad news, they come in a box of 100, which means you spend about US$100 to buy them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Torx Set Screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	474.0 KB ID:	138624

I'm not sure what size Torx driver these screws take -- the listing does not state it. But I assume it is a standard size, and not expensive.

The product description says these screws "offer 4 times improvement over corresponding Hex Socket drive systems" and that "no camout forces ... push the driver up and out".

Seems like a practical fix for our set screw issues.

Yes, they are a bit larger than many of the set screws we use, and I don't know they'd fit any wheels that are currently on offer. But maybe one of the aftermarket parts companies will pick up on the idea and retool to produce some. And I can see one of our retailers picking up on supplying small packs of these set screws at lunch-money prices.

And there is a chance that somebody makes similar screws with M2 or M2.5 threads. I haven't found any in my quick online search just now, but they just might exist. At that point we would have a ready-to-rock solution.

Ed Bianchi
                    York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

• RexCadral
                      RexCadral
                      HRW Podium Poster
                      RexCadral commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dang, that's a little pricey... I try not to buy hardware like that from Amazon, because the prices are outrageous. McMaster Carr and Bolt Depo do not carry grub screws with star heads, but there's lots of suppliers out there.
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1