Hubless wheels and setscrews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubless wheels and setscrews

I searched and could not find my answer even tho I'm sure I seen it here somewhere. I'm getting ready to glue some urethane tires on hubless wheels with the setscrew hole nearer the middle of the wheel. With tires glued on and hole so far from edge, how do you get to setscrew? I think I've seen posts about installing a hole thru tire to match up with setscrew. And if so, how is it done and how well does tire hold up with a hole in it? or do I just leave the tire unglued in that area?
    Rick Davis
    Williamsburg Va.

Never had any issues with putting hole in the tire. I just use the same wrench as the setscrew.
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

I have been drilling holes in tires for many years, with no issues whatsoever............lots of our local area club guys have also been doing the same thing, all with no issues.

I use a small diameter cone shaped diamond burr in a Dremel to drill the holes.........urethane, modern and vintage rubber.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4266-copy.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	138505

Comment

Originally posted by QARAD4 View Post
        ... I think I've seen posts about installing a hole...
        Do they come in packets? how do you know when you've got hold of one...and how do you fix it in place

Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

• QARAD4
          QARAD4 commented
          Editing a comment
          They're located on the same shelf as a bucket of steam

• Kevan
          Kevan commented
          Editing a comment
          Opposite the long stands

If those are .90 set screws, you just need to jab the tool bit through the tire.

Comment

Thanks guys, you too Kevan
          Rick Davis
          Williamsburg Va.

Comment

Just use a needle to make the hole then insert your tool. It is best to use a driver that is the same size as the set screw some tool's have a large shank that will stretch out the hole. Don't use the tool to make the hole it will make the hole far to big.
            Mike
            Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
            web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
            YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

• Slot Car Corner
              Slot Car Corner commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree with Mike. Using a hex driver to make a hole in the tire does so by tearing the tire. In some (not all) instances, this tear will propagate and affect the tire's performance. Use a darning needle (or similar) - you will get a much cleaner hole and have fewer problems.

• QARAD4
              QARAD4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the needle idea

I also make a hole with a needle before I use a wrench. It is best to use a wrench that does not have a thick shank.

Comment

Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1