GT3 stable update and other projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT3 stable update and other projects

Here is a shot of my 3D printed GT3 class of cars. Over the last little while I have been building cars of a more modern era and moving away from my late 60’s time frame. These cars represent an updated era and complete the inventory of cars to be raced against each other on my home track.

Shells amd wheels are all resin printed and are utilizing the same FDM printed sidewinder podded chassis. They run the same motor and gear ratios resulting in almost almost identical laptimes, with variations coming from body length and wheel size.

Tires are home cast urethanes

Liveries are a mixture of fantasy and prototype with decals of my own artwork printed on a laserjet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E7C0FFFE-60AE-4648-9B1F-3E193D2BCDFC.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	137760
    FR Alfa, Renault, Acura, Ferrari, Corvette C7, Porsche 918R
    BR, Audi, Porsche 991, Corvette C8, BMW M6, Ford GTE

I am now getting refocused on my 60’s cars, and updating to 3D printed versions of cars I had done in slush cast resin with brass chassis..

I have done a Lotus 30

Name:	17DE909D-0EC1-400D-96E9-A79753C73FBB.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	137761
    Ford,Gt40

Name:	7A09A815-445C-44F7-83F7-1A8FD69FAEDB.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	137762

On the bench is a Shelby Daytona, Ferrari P4 and a Lotus 40 as next cars to build.
    Cheers

Dan
    G.P Alberta

That is some very impressive work on all cars, but I really like your Lotus 30 the best.

Comment

• Barc 1
      Barc 1
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Barc 1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. The Lotus 30 and 40 are the prime examples of what slot cars mean to me.. I have a lot of favorites, but nothing floats to the top more than the Lotus. It seems as if I am always building another one. 3 D printing and FF 50 motors mean you can do this model justice and get it low to the ground , full interior and pretty fast.

Great looking scuderia, sir!
    When you build them one at a time it doesn't seem like much. But them when you line them all up it's quite an impressive number of cars.

Nicely done.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
    https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

• Barc 1
      Barc 1
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Barc 1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I cannot believe myself how many 3D printed cars I have built this past year. I jumped into 3d printing with a little trepidation wondering if the printer was going to become a doorstop. Well it sure hasn’t, and both of my printers are used on a daily basis. I have fine tuned my approach a little. At first it was design and then print pieces in quantity. Now it is design and build as needed. Print the body shell, and then print one chassis and four wheels with one guide to go with that body. Every thing is saved to one file folder putting all the corresponding pieces in one place, like a model kit. Makes it really simple to duplicate an effort in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would try 3D printing, but there are few models I am really interested in. I admire your work and productivity, but I like designing and building tracks more.

That doesn't sound right. I guess what I'm trying to say is I can't justify the costs of printers and supplies for a Lotus 30 and birdcage Maserati. I wish I could, but it isn't happening. Very envious and a bit frustrated.
    Bal r 14
    HRW Forum Veteran
    Last edited by Bal r 14; December 18, 2021, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post
      I would try 3D printing, but there are few models I am really interested in. I admire your work and productivity, but I like designing and building tracks more.

That doesn't sound right. I guess what I'm trying to say is I can't justify the costs of printers and supplies for a Lotus 30 and birdcage Maserati. I wish I could, but it isn't happening. Very envious and a bit frustrated.
      The cost of a decent printer has fallen below $200.

Hobbies are many different things to people. The only person you need to please is yourself. My comments on 3D printing are to give examples of what is capable with this technology now for those that might be interested. A little over a year ago my opinions on 3d printing were much like yours. I assumed the cost and learning curve were prohibitive and past my scope of interest for this hobby. Tuning into the 3D forum , I discovered perhaps my assumptions were wrong. For example I had no idea a resin printer could be purchased for less then $200, half the cost of a tire truing machine,. Not only has 3D printing been applied to my slot car efforts, but also to my track and scenery. The grand girls are also very appreciative for all the Barbie clothes hangers and fashion accessories I have turned out!

To each his own. The bottom line is to be doing something you enjoy, regardless of the path you chose.

Cheers

Dan
      G.P Alberta

Comment

I would suggest that you often discover there are more than 1-2 cars you want once you get going.
        But Dan's advice is solid....to each their own. Most often you can get someone to print a body for you if you really want to build a particular car, as long as there is a file for it.
        Come Race at The Trace!
        Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
        https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1