Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobble
    replied
    I'm totally in agreement with chappyman66 and have no problem with using piano wire axles for toy cars with plastic hubs, bushes etc. front and rear, but for serious stuff like Slot.it, NSR etc I stick with their products. Where I race the guys aren't too serious, which is nice, and we don't even have scrutineering but occasionally joke about the fact that we should because someone's car is lapping the others. Basically we do Home Racing in someone else's World.

Leave a comment:

• Pappy
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like a good reason "not" to shop there. Take my wife, somebody please take my wife. Just doing my imitation of Henny Youngman. LOL

• 4424ever
    replied
    Wow they really do have everything

Leave a comment:

• HO RacePro
    replied
    Just a note about McMaster-Carr. Aside from the fact they list an insane number of items on their website, you can call them -- on the telephone! -- and ask them for an item they might otherwise carry but not have listed. I've done that, and been able to buy such an item. For real!

My brother tells a story about a colleague who spent so much time calling McMaster-Carr that he got to know the woman who frequently took his calls. They ended up meeting in person, and eventually got married. So my brother says he knows a man who got his wife from McMaster-Carr!

YEMV...

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    I use the same drill blanks as Ed does. There used to be mom and pop industrial supply places all over, but most of those are gone now. McMaster-Carr does give great service and their catalog has a lot of valuable information to help you to pick the best products.

Leave a comment:

• Pappy
    commented on 's reply
    In Retro racing everyone uses piano wire for front axles.
    It takes me 1 minute to measure, cut and clean up a piece of piano wire for a front axle. When I have to cut it in half to get it out of the chassis I lose 20 cents worth of piano wire. When I cut out a hardened drill blank I lose $2. Mike, if I had your money I would probably use hardened drill blanks. : )

• 4424ever
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for that info I have searched for a local to me supplier of drill blanks and ended up with a big fat OH WELL

• 4424ever
    commented on 's reply
    Depends on how serious you take a toy car and how long shipping from outside the country is going to be
    Especially when you have a chassis under way and one axle on the bench
    This is why my wife gets upset at another package at the door (I tend to stock up but it doesn’t last forever)
    I refuse to tear down any previous builds for parts but I have sacrificed a slot it or 2

• Aptosc6
    commented on 's reply
    This is the correct answer to your question.

• 6666hotrod
    commented on 's reply
    Thought I'd ask, since I purchased a bunch of it in two sizes, at the beginning of my trying scratchbuilding : decided not to use it. So it's just in my supplies stash.

• HO RacePro
    replied
    For hardness, and precision in diameter and straightness, you want to use drill blanks. How precise? Diameter tolerance +0.0000/-0.0002 inches. Straight to within 0.012 inches per foot.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-blank...-steel-rods-9/

Take note -- you want drill blanks, not drill rod. Drill rod is usually not hardened.

Ed Bianchi

Leave a comment:

• MnFordGuy
    replied
    Mike is correct. I do have 3/32 oil hardened drill rod which I have used successfully in a pinch. Works well and can be had from McMaster Carr for short money….HOWEVER…if you’re going to the effort to build a competitive car….spring for pre done axles

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied
    1. piano wire isn't round
    2. piano wire isn't hard

Leave a comment:

• Mikeinclover
    replied
    Not sure why anyone would go to all the work of building a chassis and then use piano for an axle. The cost of a harden axle is less than $2.00 for a real axle that is true and hardened. You can't be saving anything especially when you add in the time it takes to cut it and clean up your cut.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• 4424ever
    replied
    I have no problem with piano wire for front axles
    But I use hardened steel for the rear

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
UA-149438709-1