Clipping Carrera Braids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping Carrera Braids

The IHSR club I race with has a class for pretty-much-stock Carrera 1/32nd analog cars. I've been racing with them for just a few years, and I'm slowly developing a stable of cars that I am trying to get competitive, with some success.

The Carrera class is one where I am struggling. I've had one car for a while now, and the best I can say is it does not always finish last. I bought a second one recently, in the hope it might be better, but it has been a disappointment, even slower than my first car.

So the other day I was working on it -- making permissible mods and testing it on my new routed MDF home track. I was trying to get the body to sit lower, and adding weight to the chassis. That was helping, but the car still was too easy to deslot in the corners.

Sometime in the dim, dark past I had replaced the stock Carrera braid setup on my first car. Rather than the stock paired braids I had substituted a single set of braids. Looking at the two cars side-by-side the penny dropped -- maybe the stock braids were too stiff and tending to make the front of the car want to lift out of the slot. So I took a diagonal cutters to the braids on my new car, removing one set and leaving only one braid on each side of the guide.

And it worked! The car became much more 'planted' and far less likely to deslot. It's lap times finally improved to the point where my two cars were about equal.

Which is not to say I now have competitive cars for the Carrera class. But I have learned something useful.

Ed Bianchi
    HO RacePro
    HRW Forum Veteran
    Last edited by HO RacePro; December 9, 2021, 12:37 PM.
    Ed Bianchi
    York Pennsylvania USA

Are you allowed to replace the stock guide? SlotInvasion has a replacement guide for Carrera and it does wonders for keeping the car in the slot. Longer, wider, and deeper than the stock guide. Works on wood tracks and Carerra's stock plastic track.

Comment

• Hksk25
      Hksk25
      HRW Podium Poster
      Hksk25 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ed, only the Carrera red guide is allowed

Harry

• HO RacePro
      HO RacePro
      HRW Forum Veteran
      HO RacePro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nuts! Well I've wasted about ten bucks. Now I have to see if I can find the Carrera red guide.

• BigBlock
      BigBlock
      Slot Car Enthusiast
      BigBlock commented
      Editing a comment
      I never use the red guides. I use the black guide that is installed in the car. I just keep sanding it till it fits the slot. Sanding makes it a perfect fit and is a bit larger than the red guide...

I had similar problems with a Carrera Capri, the front end bounced like an old Chevy with no shocks. I don’t have rules here so I put in a CG adapter and conventional style guide/braid. Fronts lower and no bounce from those crazy double braids. I guess they intended us to keep the magnets in them and override the spring effect of the double braid.

Comment

• RexCadral
      RexCadral
      HRW Podium Poster
      RexCadral commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I run with center magnets only and TBH the cars behave about as good as my non-Carrera no-mag cars on track. I can go ~.3 sec faster with my Revoslot GT2 Porche, but I can tell you from experimentation that the difference is in tire grip, not motor, weight, or even guide. As soon as I put some Shore 20 tires on my heaviest, most loose Carrera cars, they behaved like they still had magnets installed.

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve got mine running pretty good now. No magnets at all, lots of body and chassis tuning and some XPG tires, the originals were really bad without magnets. With the guide I put it it’s now one of my smoothest running cars and the quietest car I have.

What I did and worked really well is to take the stock braid assembly, open up the brass tabs (small screwdriver works) holding the braid in place and replace it with a softer braid. When you put the new braid in leave the braid sticking out the front only of the brass tabs and fold it back. That way it's only a single braid rather than duals.
    Dave
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

What Dave said. Make it a single piece braid vs 2. it will work with the Carrera braid as well. There are pictures here on this modification somewhere.
      Arrold Martin
      Nashville TN

Comment

Yep, what Dave and Arrold said. You could possibly put a drop of a non hardening goo in and around where the guide pops in.

Comment

I keep forgetting that these cars were designed to run with traction magnets. IHSR rules forbid traction magnets, so I've removed them from my cars. Anyway, my home track has copper-only braid -- no steel -- so all traction magnets can do is add weight.

The duplex braids isn't a bad idea if you do run with magnets.

Ed Bianchi
          Ed Bianchi
          York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

Another here in agreement with opening up the braid holder with a small screw driver and pulling the braids through. Even the standard braids feel a lot softer pulled through but I guess that's because there's more leverage on them.
            Bram,
            CHCH NZ

Comment

Using the stock Carrera braid setup will lift the front tires off of the track and degrade the handling of cars without traction magnets. Here is what the fix looks like.

Comment

• Michael Squier
                Michael Squier
                HRW Forum Veteran
                Michael Squier commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s a great trick, and very well illustrated, than you. I think I’ll try it on my Monza before putting in an adapter. For some reason the Monza doesn’t have the same front end bounce my Capri had.
            Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1