A Scratchbuild Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scratchbuild Question

Harry Wise stated that either his BrassAm chassis, or his Showdown chassis, (I think it was the BrassAm) could be built as an inline, or sidewinder (or anglewinder, too, I believe). I've built two inlines, that I'm happy with. My question : does anyone know if there is an Instructional Guide, or possibly a video, of how to do a 1/32 "Harry-Chassis", as a SIDEWINDER ?? If I could build a Sidewinder, my bodies wouldn't be limited to Stock Cars and Touring Cars. I could figure out fitting a few Prototype sports cars, and CanAm cars.

Building a sidewinder can be made much easier by using a commercially available motor bracket..........the JKC92 / JK25005 bracket is a great bracket to start with ,and it is configured for FC-130 /FK 180 motors to bolt right in. The bracket is soldered to one of your main chassis rails, and the motor is screwed to the bracket.

I believe SCC sells these, as do most commercial raceways.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Here is a pic. of a chassis I built using one of these brackets.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-27.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	136443

The finished chassis........

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-91-copy.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	136444

You can always make your life easier, and use an existing plastic sidewinder bracket (Slot-it, Scaleauto etc.) which can be bolted into a brass/wire main plate.....

Name:	Novemner26th018-2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	136445

And this is the JK bracket..............

Name:	JK25005_main__33289.1407174851.jpg?c=2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	136446

Comment

• 6666hotrod
      6666hotrod commented
      Editing a comment
      W o w : I thank you, SO Much !!

I'm interested in building a chassis like this. Are there any plans or specs for it?

Comment

Originally posted by davidxl9 View Post
      I'm interested in building a chassis like this. Are there any plans or specs for it?
      Which chassis are you referring to ??............while specific plans for scratchbuilt chassis are generally non existent, if you do have any specific questions, I would be happy to help.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Comment

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post

Which chassis are you referring to ??............while specific plans for scratchbuilt chassis are generally non existent, if you do have any specific questions, I would be happy to help.

Cheers
        Chris Walker
        Chris,
        Thank you for the quick reply! I was referring to the chassis in your first picture. I would like to know the thickness of the flat stock, size of wire and tubing. Also, I would like to see some pictures with the wheels off if possible.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by davidxl9 View Post

Chris,
          Thank you for the quick reply! I was referring to the chassis in your first picture. I would like to know the thickness of the flat stock, size of wire and tubing. Also, I would like to see some pictures with the wheels off if possible.

Dave
          Hello David, Unfortunately. I do not have any "wheels off" pics. of that chassis. but I am attaching a few others which may be of help.

As far as materials,...if you are making a 1/32 chassis here are some material guidelines. Please be aware that wire and brass thickness can vary depending on the track and motor you plan to use.

The following should be just fine for 90% of what you may build......

Main rails............................................. .................... .055 piano wire
          Front axle supports.......................................... ... .047 piano wire
          Guide tongue............................................ ............. .063 brass,..........you can find brass/steel guide tongues online.
          Side pans/cross braces/body mounts.......... .032 brass
          Pan mount wire.............................................. ...... .030 piano wire

Again, this should cover most of your builds. but do not consider them "gospel" if you track is either extremely tight/twisty, or, fast flowing.

Please shout if you need more help

PS If you are serious about scratchbuilding. and plan to do a few chassis, it would be a very good idea to either buy, or make a chassis jig..........tons of chassis have been made on simple homemade jigs 😀

Cheers
          Chris Walker

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-7-copy.jpg Views:	13 Size:	230.0 KB ID:	137514

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-62-copy.jpg Views:	12 Size:	223.5 KB ID:	137515

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-86.jpg Views:	12 Size:	245.7 KB ID:	137516

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN2777-copy.jpg Views:	12 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	137517

Click image for larger version  Name:	2009-12-20-10-38-55.jpg Views:	12 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	137518
          Last edited by chrisguyw; December 16, 2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• davidxl9
            davidxl9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris,
            Thank you for the information. Greatly appreciated! I have already ordered a similar jig and have most of the brass + wire in stock from my drag racing days.

I will add to Chris,s comment about chassis jig. There is no need to rush out and buy a jig, for many years I simply used a block of MDF with some holes drilled for pins, it was easily damaged by the heat of soldering, but easily replaced. I have seen lots of guys buy these great jigs only to find that they just could not come to grips with building chassis.

Comment

• davidxl9
            davidxl9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Phil,
            Thank you for the advice! I have made my own and modified some of my 1/24 drag jigs.

Chris W,

Which brass inline bracket is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch58 View Post
            Chris W,

Which brass inline bracket is that?
            Two different ones Mitch,...........the F1 chassis (narrow one) uses a BWA bracket, and the Sports car chassis (wide one) uses a modified bracket I got from Dennis Samson, a couple of years back

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Comment

• Mitch58
              Mitch58 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Chris
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1