Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric Thunderbird Nascar HELP

I want to replace wheels and tires on my nascar Scaley Thunderbirds
    Was wondering if anyone else has done this using cbd wheels, and Paul Gage tires.
    I got a wheel measurement of 14.6 x 9.16 with calipers. I am not sure which way to go on the wheel up or down.
    Any info would be great. Sorry if this is a repeat question
    Eric Foster
    Port Republic Va

If this is for the Nascar Proxy wheels are limited to 15x8. If this is just for your personal pleasure and not competition then you would not want to go any smaller than this. However, you could go up 15x10, 16x10 or 17x10 or maybe even up to 12 on the width.
    Arrold Martin
    Nashville TN

Comment

Thanks Arrold. This is just for personal modification. I just want to get a better running car on my home track. I do not want to open up the wheel wells any. Was hoping I could get away with 15x10 wheels.
      Eric Foster
      Port Republic Va

Comment

Eric, I have 1 tore apart, if you don`t have a answer by this afternoon, I`ll see what fits under it.
        Mark

Comment

Scalextric cars have knurled axles, so aftermarket wheels like CB Design will not fit. You could grind off the knurls, but it is better to replace the axles and gear. The Scalextric bearings are slightly oversized to fit the knurled portion of the axles, Slot Car Corner has bearings that are the correct fit.

Comment

You don't need to change your rims, they sell Quick Slick silicone or Paul Gage urethane tires that fit the stock rims, this would be the cheapest way to go., and that would help your cars handle better. Just go to Slot Car Corner and look up your car.
            Last edited by REL13; December 8, 2021, 10:36 AM.
            Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
            Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

Thank you
              I should have been more clear. I am replacing axles gears bearings , and wheels and tires from SCC
              It looks like i can go with a cbd wheel 15x10 going by the measurements, and the little bit of extra room in the fender wells Just gotta figure what size tire from PGT for Carrera track
              Mark, please let me know what you think
              Eric Foster
              Port Republic Va

Comment

Eric, these are the exact wheels & tires you purchased for your Cuda. They fit perfectly on the bird, 10s on rear, 8s on front. you can see in the photos there is clearance at the fenders both frt & rear. They do spin but the inner sidewalls on all 4 tires will need to be either trimmed or sanded to give better clearance on the chassis, not much at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tb1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	136361

Name:	tb2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	136362

Name:	tb3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	136360

Name:	tb4.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	136357

Name:	tb5.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	136358

Name:	tb6.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	136359
                Mark

Comment

Thank you very much Mark
                  Eric Foster
                  Port Republic Va

Comment

Word of caution. The uprights on these cars are really cheap and lack strength. I ran mine once and went home with broken uprights front and cracks in the rear. Whatever you do think about lots of reinforcements.

Comment

Sounds like you must be doing some very aggressive racing with old school bumping and banging. Since the wheels and tires are tucked into the wheel wells do you have any idea what's actually causing the damage to the uprights? I'm mostly a solo racer and as long as I keep my cars from making the trip from table top to the floor, even when I drive them hard there's rarely any damage. When I had walls and barriers on my oval that deslotted cars could hit head-on I did brake some guides, but changing to curved walls around corners resulted in glancing blows and solved that problem.

Comment

I ran mine for 2 years in Davol's Proxy racing with no problems. but some of the guys glue a styrene tube between the uprights.
                        Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
                        Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1