Got a new body, need to share.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new body, need to share.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.5 KB ID:	135122 Got this from Mark for a potential proxy build. Man it is nice. I hope my abilities let me do justice to it.
    About 25-30 years ago, Mark came over and got one of my rough Chap 2E bodies that I slush cast way back then. I'd like to think that he got interested in casting from getting that rough old body back then. I think Dave mention one time he read the online article I did back in the 90's showing how I slush cast a body and that helped spur his interest. . I am impressed with the quality bodies these guys make,. They've gone way past me.

Here's a Marks body on an LVJ chassis I put together to test out tires, gears and the Piranha. This sure makes it easy for anybody to build a neat car.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	135123
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

I was all excited. I need a new body. Any body that works better than this one. It doesn't have to be as good as this one was before I wore it out. But being able to bend over to pick something up would be good. I have long handle reachers all over the house and of course, there's four of them on the track in the shop.

Comment

I finally got the tires and wheels for this build. I was surprised to see the wheels are for 3/32 axles. I built the chassis with 1/8 hardware. I think I have bushings I can put in the rear and can probably use tubing to bush the front axle tube for the smaller size. Not so sure how to bush a crown gear, but I will figure it out. I also now have tiny allen screws to mount the wheels. I'll sort thru my tools and find the right size wrench in my big car garage. I hope I got the legal parts. I am going to keep after this and if I meet the deadline, I will send it in and if it's legal it can race, if not, it will be a learning experience.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

• chrisguyw
      chrisguyw
      HRW Forum Veteran
      chrisguyw commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Matt, 3/32 x 1/4 oilites are available readily (any decent commercial raceway), and will pop right in to the bushing holes in your chassis.

You can easily make a sleeve for your 1/8 bore Crown using a piece of 3/32 id.\ x 1/8 od. brass or aluminum,......you just need to cut/file a hole in the sleeve for the set-screw to pass through.

If you get lazy, Koford, Red Fox and "Go Fast" make 48P Crowns with a 3/32 bore.

That's a great looking late model body.

Slot Car Corner has the gear bushing you're looking for Matt.

https://slotcarcorner.com/collection...ar70239-parma#
    Brad
    Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

• mattb
      mattb
      HRW Forum Veteran
      mattb commented
      Editing a comment
      It took nearly 2 weeks to get this order here, it went thru a lot of out of the way stops to get here. I hate to waste time waiting on another order so I will probably try to sleeve a gear myself. EIther loctite or epoxu and a hole in the bushing to allow the set screw thru to the axle. I'll sork out something.

Matt, the vintage way for bushing gears was to just use a piece of brass or aluminum tubing with 3/32" I.D.. What some of the California retro guys more recently did was plug the 1/8" axle hole in Parma crowns with brass rod. Once the glue dried, they mounted the gear on a lathe & drilled a new 3/32" axle hole. Using tubing is quicker, but it may leave a couple thousandths slop. Parma had some reducers for their crowns awhile too, but I never had any to check their accuracy.

Comment

• mattb
      mattb
      HRW Forum Veteran
      mattb commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill, I think I can just use some tubing and make it work. If it doesn't I'll keep after till it does. As long as it's square without too much run out, it should be fine. thanks

I found a driver to fit these small set screws and got the axles cut and tires and wheels fitted. Put some tubing in a crown and it seems fine. I didn't drill a hole in the brass, so the set screw is only pushing the brass tube against the axle to hold the gear in place. That works, but I need to do another gear and get a hole in the bushing so the setscrew can touch the axle. First test shows wheel hop on acceleration than smooths out. Tires are not glued, so I assume they are causing this. I glued the landbarge tires with the adhesive from SCC. I wasn't happy with how quick it set up. I didn't have time to get the tires fully seated and exactly true on the rims. I like rolling them and working them until they are seated as close to perfect as possible.

I may try using the Permatex silicone I use for coating tires to glue these tires to the rim. It cures about 4-5 hours with exposure to air. I'll post results.

That's my progress.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

Matt,

Use your Dremel Tool with a cut-off wheel to grind out a hole for the set screw, don't try to drill it. If you grind the hole in a long piece of tubing first and then cut it to length you won't burn your fingers when you grind out the hole. I wouldn't use pliers to hold the tubing, especially aluminum tubing, you might crush it a little.
      Butch Dunaway
      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• Bill from NH
        Bill from NH
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Bill from NH commented
        Editing a comment
        Stick an old 3/32" axle or piece of 3/32" piano wire in the tubing before you begin grinding the hole. Then you can hold it with pliers without crushing.

• Pappy
        Pappy
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Pappy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea,Bill. It would also act as a heat sink to disperse some of the heat.

I got this thing thrown together finally,. One over- sized set screw in the right rear, Ground a slot in a piece of tubing and hammered it in the 1/8 crown gear. I got a big hammer. Ran a few laps to break in the motor just a bit. Traction is not great as my track runs silicones only. I did run it for 5 minutes or so and nothing fell off.

Both cars are ready to go. Not sure how they will compare to the performance of the rest of the field. If I am not last, I'll be OK. Actually if they are last, I'll still be OK. Just competing and supporting is enough for me. I think both cars are legal.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010030.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	139993 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010034.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	139995 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010033.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	139994 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	139996
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

Awesome job Matt. Get those puppies in the mail.
        Brad
        Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

• mattb
          mattb
          HRW Forum Veteran
          mattb commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to be a part of this deal. I like working with 1/24, but thought I would do a 1/32 and see what I could do with that format.

Looking forward to running those hot rods Matt. Looking good!
        Mark

Comment

• mattb
          mattb
          HRW Forum Veteran
          mattb commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope they run fairly close to the rest of the field and are good enough to stay on tires and not the roof!

Who'd-a-thought John Madden was a fan??

"Well, you see....when you’re racing good slot cars, it's good slot car racing.
        And if you don't have good slot cars, BOOM, then you're not really racing good slot cars."

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34552-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.7 KB ID:	140128
        Silberpfeil
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Last edited by Silberpfeil; January 1, 2022, 02:45 PM.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Silberpfeil View Post
          "Well, you see....when you’re racing good slot cars, it's good slot car racing.
          And if you don't have good slot cars, then you're not really racing good slot cars."

[/ATTACH][/URL]
          Mark, is it OK if I quote you on that?

Butch Dunaway
          Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• Silberpfeil
            Silberpfeil
            HRW Forum Veteran
            Silberpfeil commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazing how Madden's "pearls of football wisdom" are equally applicable to slot car racing.

"The fewer rules a race series has...BOOM!...the fewer rules there are for Racers to break."
            Silberpfeil
            HRW Forum Veteran
            Last edited by Silberpfeil; January 1, 2022, 02:45 PM.

BOOM! That sounded like something Madden would have said!
          Scott C.
          Amherst, WI

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1