Motors, Carrera vs Scalextric power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motors, Carrera vs Scalextric power?

I’ve been working on a Carrera Capri and while it’s going faster on my track with lower times the motor just feels gutless. I can throttle up much sooner in a corner than with my Scalextric cars and it just feels like it has less torque. I’m wondering if a motor swap would make it more comparable to the Scalextric power wise. I realize gearing and weight and other factors come into it, but the Carrera motors all seem to feel less potent. I’m on Scalextric track with a 12 volt power supply.
    Would the Gator 18k motor that SCC sell be comparable to the Scalextric motors? What do you guys think?

Well, just a reminder that the "stock" Scalextric motors are not 18k as they list them. Usually 20+

Carrera motors do have a little less punch to them. The magnets in the can are not as strong. (short version of why)

I would swap to a Piranha. Carrera motors have almost the same RPM.

The Gator is a good option as well. Just a Piranha will give you a bit more. If your just looking for lap times, might as well go more.
    -Harry

Comment

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      In the words of Tim the tool man Taylor, “more power” yes that is the best way to go.

Did anyone mention the sheer weight difference? Carrera cars tend to be a bit heavier than Scalextric.

Comment

We have been putting the Predator 22.5 BB motor in them . Really peps the car up and it is a very smooth motor.
      Mike
      Last edited by Mikeinclover; November 30, 2021, 11:15 AM.
      Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
      web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
      YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

the carrera motors are made for the carrera power pack putting out 14.8v. that is almost 3volt more. when you run at 12volt or lower they are slower and not as responsive. also carrera cars are heavier and have more traction magnet. i like the pirana 21.5k motor
        Last edited by lance; November 29, 2021, 02:01 AM.
        Lance Sofa racer, SA TX by way of Hawaii

Comment

But at the same time some Carrera motors really do pack a punch. In one American Muscle 18k class 3min heat, I opted to run a Carrera #76 Torino against 2 Scalex '70 Sunoco Camaro's and beat them both to the finishing line. And this is all 3 cars running standard motors on a longish (upwards of 9sec laps for these types of cars) 3 lane routed track without magnets. Admittedly I had to drive the skin off the thing but a win is a win. I have other Carrera cars that perform just as well. I think their biggest disadvantage other than extra weight is sometimes having higher gearing caused by larger diameter wheels than cars from other brands. Another motor that might be worth a look if you want to stick to a18k motor, is the H&R Racing Hawk if that is still available as that has quite respectable torque.
          Bram,
          CHCH NZ

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. For fun I put a standard Scalextric power supply on my track to give the Carrera a boost and see how I liked the extra power. It gets the rear end loose easier, but my times were right about the same. With the lower power it’s much smoother to drive and still sets lap time quicker than my Scalextric TA Camaro and Mustang. Hmm, maybe I’ll rethink this “more power” thing and keep on tweaking the handling. I still might have to get one of those motors just to try it and see what happens. It’s all good fun.

Comment

• MrFlippant
              MrFlippant commented
              Editing a comment
              You have a fixed voltage power supply, then? Do you know if it's switching, or regulated, or how many amps it should be able to deliver of the specified voltage?

• Michael Squier
              Michael Squier commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s regulated and I have to look at the amps. I think it’s around 2.5. I only run it on one lane. My track is only 21 feet.

I wonder if the Carrera power supply has a significant voltage drop when the power is being pulled hard. That would act like a choke or anti-spin, but the same car/controller/track with a better power supply (same voltage, but able to provide consistent power without voltage loss) behaves entirely differently, only because of the power supply.

It sounds like you don't already have one, so I'd strongly recommend that you forego one new car in order to purchase a decent variable voltage power supply. Things like this would handle most home track needs, and even some club track needs:
            https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9N73YQ

Comment

• Michael Squier
              Michael Squier commented
              Editing a comment
              You are correct I do not have a variable power supply yet, but it is on my list of items to get. The power supply I’m using I’ve had since the late 70’s! It’s not for slot cars but it works, just not variable.

+1 on the variable power supply. It will make driving all of your cars much more enjoyable.

Bill

Comment

Here is the scoop on power supplies: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r_m...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I have a motor tach and I've tested many many motors looking for that edge and looking for consistency.

The Carrera motors seem to come in two groups depending on the car they came out of. They are typically 17/18K or around 21K different but consistent.

Scalextric and Fly use the same black stripe motor and are all speced as 18K motors, however these motors are all over the board with no rhyme nor reason. Any group of them will run between 17K to 23K with most of them hovering around 20K .

Looking for closer racing we've made some of our classes use a spec motor, We chose the blue H&R Hawk 18K motor. as a group these all run closer to 18K than any other brand we've tested.

Comment

• Michael Squier
                  Michael Squier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info. I guess trying to get the Carrera close to a Scalextric motor would only work if I swap them all out to the same motor.

• docdoom
                  docdoom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To add onto mitch report. Every carrea motor I have tacked were all under 18k at 12 volts
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1