Scalextric guide conversion help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric guide conversion help wanted

Does anyone have experience with using slot invasions new Aluminum guide sleeve in a Scalextric car that used the quick change guide?
    I am wondering what guide you inserted in the sleeve, and how it works on a Scalelextric Sport track?
    All the guides slot invasion shows are to convert Scaly cars to either wood tracks or Carrera tracks, which I think would not fit Sport track.
    I really don't care for the quick change guides Scalextric has gone to.
    If you have experience with this please do tell?
    Scott C.
    Amherst, WI
    Just "a simple kind of man".

They sell just the sleeve and you can use one of the aftermarket guides in it. Slot it or Slotting Plus both make guides that will work on the Scalextric track. I need to do the same thing to a few of mine. I don’t like those quick change guides either.

Comment

You can sand/trim the Slotinvasion guide to fit easily. If you are not comfortable with that, go with the CG SLOTCARS adaptor mod instead.

Article HERE

Using the CG adaptors is very easy as well. Then just pick a guide such as the Sloting Plus Universal

Guide Here

Gimme a holla if you need to sir. I'm here still digesting turkey and dressing.

EDIT HERE IS MY ORIGINAL VIDEO for the Slotinasion conversion

Like I said, sanding this guide blade and trimming it is easy enough. I agree, the BEST mod you can start with on a Scalextric is changing the guide system.
      -Harry

Comment

I'll throw out another idea. Take a stock, press in type slot-it guide. Chamfer the top side of the Scaley chassis about 1mm. Press in the guide and check your height. You can adjust the penetration of the guide with shims and by increasing the chamfer depth.

Comment

• WB2
          WB2 commented
          Editing a comment
          My go-to tool for chamfering guide post holes is a counter sink bit. Almost every car I have got the treatment to free up guide rotation.

Thanks for addressing this topic again ya'll. I have sanded carrera guides down as they would rub along the bottom of my track, and I've shortened them up too.
        I've also had to thin them since scaly rails are closer together.
        Just thought if there was someone who found a guide that would just drop through the slotinvasion sleeve without the sanding and trimming I would try some of them out.
        I just received a slotting plus universal guide from SCC, so as soon as I get the AL sleeves I'll give it a try.
        I also have the CG adapters, but only used them on my FLY cars that have broken there guide mounts. Will look at them for my scaly cars too.
        Scott C.
        Amherst, WI

Comment

I've used the CG adapters on at least 10 Scalextric cars and they worked great. The Slot It guide fits them very well.
          Brad
          Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

I decided not to wait for slotinvasions aluminum sleeve and try a CG adapter with the Slotting Plus Universal guide I just got...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211128_213128533.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	134559

I needed to ream the hole on the chassis out alittle with a drill bit

Name:	IMG_20211128_213351420.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	134560

I then had to ream the hole on the guide adapter since it was a little tight for the new guide. Then I used SCC nylon guide spacers to adjust the ride height.

Name:	IMG_20211128_213559310.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	134561
            ​​​​
            I put new braid on and trimmed the guide post and

Name:	IMG_20211129_210445140.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	134562 finished.
            What a nice improvement. Now if I spin out the guide doesn't get stuck under the chassis and the car is much nicer to drive.
            Scott C.
            Amherst, WI

Comment

• Michael Squier
              Michael Squier commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s a nice conversion piece. Did you glue it in place or is it just in by friction?

Nice tutorial. You will be happy with the improvement.
            Brad
            Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Michael Squier I did super glue it in.

Brad_T. Thank you for the compliment.
              Scott C.
              Amherst, WI

Comment

Just thought I should add pictures of before and after guide conversion... Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_194613.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	135156
                original guide

Name:	20211201_194547.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	135159
                new slotting plus guide.

Attached Files
                Scott C.
                Amherst, WI

Comment

• Michael Squier
                  Michael Squier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I need to get about 1/2 dozen or so of these. I really don’t like the stock brush to metal contact Scalextric uses. Plus a bigger guide is nice
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1