Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera Slotcar Silicone Tire Fitment

I'm going a little bit nuts here...

I've bought a pair of Carrera Evolution Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, part numbers 2002734 and 2002735. They're intended as Christmas gifts for my step-grandchildren, who inherited one of my routed tracks. Experience has shown these cars will need silicone tires to perform well on said track. So I want to fit them with silicones before I give them.

i have no lack of options for where to buy the tires. The problem is trying to find tires that will fit. It is a sad fact that there is no standardization of tire sizes in 1/32nd scale. And it is turning out to be a real chore to search through all these websites looking for some indication that a particular tire will fit these cars. It doesn't help that both the manufacturer and the model are both 'Carrera'.

I don't usually post whining missives begging for help resolving issues as common as fitting tires, but I'm swallowing my pride and asking. Help please?

I do wish there was some standardization. Much easier to buy tires for actual full-scale cars.

Ed Bianchi
    Ed Bianchi
    York Pennsylvania USA

I feel your pain. Slot Car Corner used to have an interactive tire selector, but I was not able to find that today. It would be great if the plastic wheels on RTR 1/32nd slot cars were more standardized. There seems to be some hope for the future, I believe that the newer Pioneer and Scalextric wheels mimic the standard dimensions used by Slot.it and CB Design wheels.

Comment

I see Carrera 911 Carrera S cab takes FL02 in Quick Slicks. But, no mention of Evolution in the selection criteria. This is from the guide at LEB Hobbies.
      Bal r 14
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Last edited by Bal r 14; November 23, 2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much! The Quick Slicks "Fitment by Brand/Model" listing on LEB Hobbies is the most useful guide I have seen yet.

The Quick Slicks FL02 seems to be only available as "Extra Firm". Dunno what that means when it comes to silicone tires. Softer might be better, but that does not seem to be an option. Nuts.
        HO RacePro
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Last edited by HO RacePro; November 23, 2021, 10:40 AM.
        Ed Bianchi
        York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

It can be frustrating shopping for aftermarket tires for slot cars - it just seems to take forever to find the right sized tires. Even when tire fitment chart is available, I've ordered tires that fit poorly for the model they're supposed to fit.

I love it when Harry makes his videos, and includes the exact aftermarket tire part numbers for the car he's covering in the video. Such a timesaver when shopping on your own. For me, anytime someone makes a video, and gives part numbers or sizes for the aftermarket parts they are using, it is greatly appreciated.

Sorry not to be any help, Ed - know that you're not alone in your frustration.

Bill

Comment

• Bal r 14
          Bal r 14
          HRW Forum Veteran
          Bal r 14 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have not had any tire not fit when ordering from the LEB Hobby Quick Slicks guide. The only down side I have observed is some tires could be taller or wider, just for looks. But they do fit and work just fine.

Doesn't the SCC Tire Selector do this as well?

TIRE SELECTOR

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.12.13 AM.png
Views:	112
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	133436
        -Harry

Comment

Hello Everyone,

The Quick Slicks Tire Fitment Summary is available on several of our authorized dealer websites. Please note that all of our authorized dealers are linking to the same source (URL) for the Fitment Summary. This ensures as updates are made to the Fitment Summary, our authorized dealers, and their customers, always have the most up-to-date information. Here is the link:

Quick Slicks Tire Fitment Summary (By Brand/Model)

The Fitment Summary is updated regularly as new applications for Quick Slicks are identified or new Quick Slicks are released. However, the link remains the same if you wish to bookmark it.

All Quick Slicks are available in both Firm and X-Firm compounds. Some authorized dealers may only offer one compound.

Thank you for all of your support.

Comment

There is no difference in tire fitment between the analog and digital cars. They are the same.
          Dave
          Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway
          Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

-Harry

Comment

I can't speak to Quickslicks, as I don't run silicone, and the Paul Gage tires have been fine as well. I have had some issues with another brand urethane tire and their chart though. I just ended up buying a digital micrometer to help when buying tires.

Bill

Comment

Just to close the loop here...

I bought Quick Slicks FL02XF silicones. They fit those Carrera Evolution Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolets, part numbers 2002734 and 2002735.

While listed as 'extra firm', they are soft enough to provide good traction on my track, which is painted with a flat latex and is 'rubbered in'. They should have great traction on the gloss epoxy my step-grandkids will be racing on.

Also worth noting, they seem to be very round, which is good because I suspect they would be very hard to true up on something like a 'Tire Razor'.

Ed Bianchi
                Ed Bianchi
                York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

Ed, I can't even figure out what tires and wheels to buy for a proxy car. I ordered what I think is correct, but tracking shows they are setting somewhere in Maryland! They have been hiding for 7-8 days, I hope they re-appear the next week or so!
                  Matt B
                  So. In
                  Crashers

Comment

If someone were to ask me how to fix the tire fitment issue, I'd recommend eliminating the central rib and go to wheels with double flanges. Then go to scale wheel diameters, tire OD's and widths. It would still result in far too many tire sizes, but at least we could specify them by a set of numbers that are universal.

For those of us that are more interested in competition than true-scale, we'd probably settle on a few sizes that suit the classes we race in.

Of course then there's the issue of tire compound. Oh mercy...

Ed Bianchi
                    HO RacePro
                    HRW Forum Veteran
                    Last edited by HO RacePro; December 4, 2021, 11:13 AM.
                    Ed Bianchi
                    York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1