Ferrari Lancia D50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrari Lancia D50

The Ferrari Lancia D50 -- a Formula 1 car from 1954 -- has been modeled many times. It is a unique looking car, with pannier gas tanks mounted on either side of the main body.
    I'm thinking about building a 1/32nd slotcar of the D50, with a custom chassis. But I haven't had much luck finding an affordable body to buy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrari Lancia D50.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	132917
    I have the ability to print the body. I've done some looking online for an STL file that some kind soul might have created. No luck to date. Can anyone point me towards such?

Should anyone have the artistic ability to create a digital model of this beautiful car, and be looking for a project -- well, here, let me give you a nudge.

Ed Bianchi
    Ed Bianchi
    York Pennsylvania USA

Check out the 3D forum - Nimrod has a D50 body with the side tanks... I printed one in 1/24 scale and a few other folks have printed it in 1/32

Its a good file...
    Dangermouse to the rescue.

Comment

Lancia D50 kits made by Hawk, show up fairly regularly on epay. I did this one several years ago,..it runs on a center pivot "flexi-board" chassis.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Click image for larger version  Name:	2011-04-26-17-19-08-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	132991
      Click image for larger version  Name:	2011-04-26-17-19-06-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	132992

Click image for larger version  Name:	image-2058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	132990
      Last edited by chrisguyw; November 20, 2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• WB2
        WB2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m trying to figure out how that chassis works.
        The front and rear of the chassis appear to be connected by what appears to be 1/32 piano wire. But there appears to be a connection between the two brass strips. I’m assuming the marks I see we’re created by soldering on top.
        Could you show a top view of that chassis?

Ed,
      There is a good file for the original car with the separate tanks from -nimrod- as indicated.

​​​​​​​The later car as shown by Chris was modeled by Hawk among others in 1/32 and I did a resin of it years ago. MPC did it in 1/24 as well. The Hawk cars or bodies show up periodically, the MPC cars are a little harder to find nowadays.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
      https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Hello WB2,.........."Flexi-board" chassis have been around for many years, and variations of them are found on most of the top level club and commercial track cars today.

The chassis is essentially a front and back half with a pivot tube soldered to each half with a rod inserted (not soldered) into both, allowing the front and back to rotate. The torsional flex is controlled by the torsion bars on outside of the chassis (this is altered by either the length, or the thickness of the wire). These torsion bars also hold the front and rear chassis parts together. Torsional flex allows the rear outside tire to load progressively in a corner, improving grip and chassis performance.....and having the pivot point along the central spine of the chassis allows true rotation, unlike the "tilting" movement found in most podded cars.

The ideal amount of flex will differ depending on the track design/surface grip, and the motor used...............faster more wide open tracks and stronger motors will favour a stiffer flex, while slower/tighter track and slower motors will benefit from a car with softer flex.

While I do not have a handy pic. of my D50 chassis, here are a few others I have built using the same principle.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you need more info.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Top view............

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-86.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.7 KB ID:	133089

Bottom view...........

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-85-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	292.2 KB ID:	133090

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-13-copy-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.9 KB ID:	133091

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-170-copy-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	133092

A modern "Eurosport" chassis..............a few differences, but, it incorporates a central pivot rod, that allows the chassis to "rotate" torsionally instead of "tilting".

Click image for larger version

Name:	vyrp12-157-RH-ES32-2016-2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	133093
        Last edited by chrisguyw; November 21, 2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

George Turner did a resin kit as well.

Dangermouse to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
            The Ferrari Lancia D50 -- a Formula 1 car from 1954 -- has been modeled many times. It is a unique looking car, with pannier gas tanks mounted on either side of the main body.
            I'm thinking about building a 1/32nd slotcar of the D50, with a custom chassis. But I haven't had much luck finding an affordable body to buy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ferrari Lancia D50.jpg Views:	113 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	132917
            I have the ability to print the body. I've done some looking online for an STL file that some kind soul might have created. No luck to date. Can anyone point me towards such?

Should anyone have the artistic ability to create a digital model of this beautiful car, and be looking for a project -- well, here, let me give you a nudge.

Ed Bianchi
            I'll dig around. I have had a few of these 1/32 kits over the years. I have a soft spot for the 1/32 Hawk kits. Built tons of them as a kit. 25 cents at the local drug store, who could beat that for a model car kit? I find them at plastic model shows all the time, cheap.
            I get paid to build models, race slot cars, and travel to museums.

Comment

• HO RacePro
              HO RacePro commented
              Editing a comment
              Ace, are you trying to make me feel jealous? They pay you for that? If I had that job I would never have retired!
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1