New chassis from MRSlotcar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chassis from MRSlotcar

A new chassis from MRSlotcar should hit the shelves during the first/second quarter of 2022, one that will work with either "hard" or lexan type bodies. (The chassis will be a separate kit, and will not replace the chassis' under the RTR cars from MRSlotcar.)

It is still in the final design stages, with lots of variations being tried,..those variations centering around finding an appropriate amount of torsional flex.

To that end, I have been really hacking up a pre production model.........using various length and thickness center pivot rods, The particular car in the picture is likely close to the final design, and while this version is for lexan type bodies, a separate top plate will be available for mounting "Hard" bodies. Additionally I have suggested that the MRSlotcar adjustable front axle block be used, and an adjustable guide tongue be utilised..and, both these features will be incorporated into the final design.

In its current state (as pictured) it is running on sponge tyres, and on the MRSlotcar commercial track it runs away from anything plastic..........I will be doing some more modifications in the next week or so on the Policar track to assess/maximize its performance on plastic with urethane/rubber tyres.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4785.jpg Views:	0 Size:	252.9 KB ID:	131673

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4787.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.1 KB ID:	131674
    Last edited by chrisguyw; November 14, 2021, 10:12 AM.

Love the centre section design
    Boy its going to be an expensive day when I make it over to Ernies
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

Looks fantastic!! I'm definitely building something out of one or two!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
        Additionally I have suggested that the MRSlotcar adjustable front axle block be used, and an adjustable guide tongue be utilised.
        Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN4785.jpg Views:	0 Size:	252.9 KB ID:	131673

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN4787.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.1 KB ID:	131674
        Hey Chris, I assume this will have an adjustable wheelbase for the hard body cars, even though I don't see where?
        Loan Shark aka Matt
        I am Alive because Organ Donation Worked... TWICE
        Lake Country, BC, Canada
        Shark Pit: 38' MDF Routed

Comment

• 4424ever
          4424ever commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent question that totally did not occur to me
          Thanks

Originally posted by Loan Shark View Post

Hey Chris, I assume this will have an adjustable wheelbase for the hard body cars, even though I don't see where?
        Hi Matt, ...the final version will not have the existing front axle uprights as part of the base plate. (as seen in the pic.)....instead a series of holes will be drilled into the new base plate, and the adjustable ScaleRacing/MRSlotcar axle blocks can be screwed on in for various wheelbases,.........so, yes, it will have an adjustable wheelbase.

Similarly, the guide tongue will have fore/aft adjustments.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Comment

These are the adjustable axle blocks, that will be incorporated into the above chassis...............they come with a separate bushing that rides in the axle block, the bushing is located by the set screws, eliminating the set screws running on the axle, and ,the bushings significantly reduce the fore/aft axle movement found in several manufacturers chassis.

Cheers
          Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4783.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	131879

Comment

Chris, have you been able to compare the performance of this new chassis to the improved podded chassis as per this last image?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSlab View Post
              Chris, have you been able to compare the performance of this new chassis to the improved podded chassis as per this last image?
              Hi Alwyn,......I have. That said I have so far only tested them on the wood track with sponge tires,.........here the new chassis is significantly better !!!......the new chassis dynamics ( softer and progressive torsional flex) offer much better transitional response, and load the rear tires more progressively,...no comparison.

I have yet to do much testing with "hard" tires (rubber/urethane/silicone) and while I believe the new chassis will certainly be a solid improvement, I can't quantify that at this stage.

I will hopefully get to the shop this week, and carry out some "hard" tire tests.

Cheers
              Chris Walker

Comment

Great, thanks Chris. A pity in one respect: the "old" chassis would be easier to mount under a hard plastic body with the option for body mount posts. The new chassis will take a bit of work. But always nice to see new innovation and extra options for us to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSlab View Post
                  Great, thanks Chris. A pity in one respect: the "old" chassis would be easier to mount under a hard plastic body with the option for body mount posts. The new chassis will take a bit of work. But always nice to see new innovation and extra options for us to play with.
                  While the chassis in the first pics. has a top plate for Lexan type bodies, there will be a mounting system designed for Hard bodies........it will either utilize the "Plafit" type mount ( foam glued to the inside of the body, and attached to the chassis via an "L" bracket), or holes in the chassis plate to accommodate traditional body posts............still to be determined !!

Cheers
                  Chris Walker

Comment

Hi Chris,

Very nice.

Is a 1/25 version being considered?

Thanks.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by vtecfour View Post
                      Hi Chris,

Very nice.

Is a 1/25 version being considered?

Thanks.

Dan
                      Hi Dan,...........quick answer NO ....................Ernie has several 1/24 Flexi/Eurosport/Wing chassis available, and while these certainly could be used, they are designed for very small diameter rear wheels/tires (and no Front wheels),............likely not what you are looking for in a scale type chassis

Cheers
                      Chris Walker

Comment

How wide is the chassis, would it say fit under a muscle car or is it more for a group C or LMP style body?
                        The Jester
                        of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
                        the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• dinglebery
                          dinglebery commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A muscle car sits too high off the tarmac - this is a Le Mans inspired chassis I think

• chrisguyw
                          chrisguyw commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Tony, Initially this chassis was designed to be used under lexan typeLMP/Group C bodies, for a class that we will be running at Ernies' track, so, in its current form it is a bit wide, and will not fit under muscle/TransAm type Hard bodies.

That said the chassis is not in its final configuration, nor has it been produced in large numbers, so, a "narrow" version is entirely possible........I will mention it to the Ernie.

• Brumos RSR
                          Brumos RSR commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you SirChrisGuyW for the response. A muscle car would be an extreme but like the Plafit, it’s always easier to go wider versus going narrow with a medium to narrow chassis I would think. Even if it only fits GT, Can Am or other mid width cars that would be a wider net.

Originally posted by 4424ever View Post
                        Love the centre section design
                        Boy its going to be an expensive day when I make it over to Ernies
                        Hi Dave, When you drop by (soon I hope), bring lots of cars,............both the 135ft Policar track and the 150ft wood track are waiting !!

PS Bring lots of cash

Cheers
                        Chris Walker

Comment

Looking at these chassis I fell I am looking at what a watch maker would build if he were a slot car enthusiast. Beautiful.
                          Scott C.
                          Amherst, WI

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1