Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a SlotIt Group C slot car from an inline a sidewinder motor configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a SlotIt Group C slot car from an inline a sidewinder motor configuration

Well done tutorial on this change. This is my current favorite thing to do with the slot.it Group C cars. I use the newer SW pod made to accept flanged bearings. I use ball bearings just ‘cause I can and I haven’t entered any proxies yet. The body clearance issue showed up in a Porsche 962 with the the spur gear rubbing on the underside of one of the rear deck ducts. A little careful Dremel work easily took care of it. This is a great conversion for someone just getting into serious tinkering .Straightforward and rewarding.
    Mike V.
    Western North Carolina

Comment

I am curious why you would do this. Online should have better balance but more friction loss. As I recall from the 60s, sidewinders put more weight on the rear tires.

Comment

• arroldn
        arroldn commented
        Editing a comment
        More weight on the rear tire gives: Better traction, Better cornering speeds, Better braking. But I'm a rookie. I'll let the big boys chime in.

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        Same car, SW vs IL = no contest, SW FTW!

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        This may help with deciding if a SW configuration is right for you. Check out the cars from the World Championship Proxy Group C builds.
        https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...oting-now-open
        Last edited by Brumos RSR; December 1, 2021, 09:34 PM.

I changed my Slot it 962 to a sidewinder config with a 22.5 predator motor from SCC and beat my track record with it . With Quick Slicks.

Comment

Converting a SlotIt GrC to SW is a no brainer if rules allow, I have a XJR14 with a Shark 22 and it beats most NSR Moslers on our wood track and it's so easy to drive.

...flexy wing mounts would be a good idea, I made a pair from a 1mm thick sheet of black neoprene rubber and superglued them to the wing and rear mount
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

Just for fun, I converted a Carrera DTM Audi sedan to an NSR EVO King anglewinder. It really moves now!

Comment

• Kevan
            Kevan commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll admit AW is my 3rd choice.

• Bal r 14
            Bal r 14 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would prefer sidewinder, but I had several anglewinder pods and NSR EVO King motors just lying around and several poor performing Carrera cars.

Click image for larger version  Name:	131FC34F-3B24-4403-813F-9EDEEA512A98.jpg Views:	0 Size:	807.9 KB ID:	134980 Click image for larger version  Name:	36FD2124-3B6F-4E07-A897-A015D84F7483.jpg Views:	0 Size:	953.3 KB ID:	134979

Similar conversion here with Shark 25K, slot.it ball bearing pod and Quick Slicks CB43F tires on CB Designs 10mm wide wheels. Holds my track record, too. Just finished the orange and yellow Shell livery car the same way to keep it company 😄.
          Last edited by Mickey thumbs; December 1, 2021, 09:19 PM.
          Mike V.
          Western North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by SA Garage View Post
            I changed my Slot it 962 to a sidewinder config with a 22.5 predator motor from SCC and beat my track record with it . With Quick Slicks.
            That must be the original release looking at the chassis. Nice work!

Comment

The really difference here is with an in-line the pod will flex between the motor and the axle. That small flex will impact handling. If you want to try to experiment with an inline, try adding bracing from the motor to the top of the bushing holder. You will see a significant improvement with the handling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner28 View Post

That must be the original release looking at the chassis. Nice work!

Comment

Yeah I have had this one for a while and decided it needed upgraded . Has always been a favorite livery of mine . I really am impressed with the motor so I bought 2 more for future builds. 22.5 predator !

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1