Wheel Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Gauges

I spend a lot of time developing my own 1/32nd scale chassis, a lot of which involves creating 3D filament printed parts. I have built several cars that use the body as part of the structure -- monocoque designs. There is a motor pod -- or what I call the rear sub-chassis, and a front sub-chassis, which mounts the guide and the front wheels.

Setting up the front sub-chassis has been difficult, largely because I need to figure out what size wheels are needed. Finally I came up with the idea of what I am calling "Wheel Gauges". I have printed up a set of simple plastic wheels -- not intended for racing -- but to help me determine the right front wheel sizes. I have created a set of nine gauges, from 15mm in diameter up to 22mm, in steps of 1mm. That is pairs of wheels 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 millimeters in diameter.

Each pair of wheels have their own 3/32" diameter stub axles which can easily be slipped into the front wheel mounts. Those stub axles are actually 3/32" diameter steel rivets 3/4" long.

It should be much easier now to figure out the right size wheels for the front sub-chassis. Just swap different size wheels in and out until I find the right size set. Once I know that I can go about obtaining the actual wheels the car will need. Photos below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3217 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	126086

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3215.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	126083 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3218.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	126084 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3216.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	126085

In this example it is easy to see that, while the 21mm gauge is the right size for ground clearance, it is a bit too large for the car body. The front wheel mounts will need to be redesigned to allow a smaller wheel. Probably a 18 or 19 millimeter wheel will work.

Ed Bianchi
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HO RacePro; October 13, 2021, 03:07 PM.
    Ed Bianchi
    York Pennsylvania USA

great idea.
    Brad
    Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

I wonder if there might be a market for sets of wheel gauges. They're very simple to design and print, but maybe there are folks who'd like a set who don't have access to a printer or simply don't want to go to the trouble of making their own.

Two ways I could go with this -- assuming there are folks interested. I could sell sets, or I could post an STL file on a site like Thingieverse. I'm thinking I could sell a set for, say, US$25, plus my packing and shipping charge.

Apparently Thingieverse has lots of competition these days. Is there a site that folks like better?

Ed Bianchi
      Ed Bianchi
      York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

Good idea Ed,...but,.....far from new. The axle blocks made by Precision slot cars not only have multiple tire diameters , but, are designed to provide varying track clearances for a given tire diameter.

These blocks are getting harder to come by, and they are not the most inexpensive,.....so,......an alternative may have merit.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	2004-01-01-00-00-00-53-copy.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	126103

Comment

Printing those is easy.

The deal with Thingiverse is that those files are free. Other sites allow either free or paid files.
          My Cults3D profile has both free (my Thingiverse files) and paid (files made by -nimrod- ) files on it. So if you want to give away the files, use Thingiverse. If you want to sell the files, use a different site.
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
          https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1