Best NSR GT3 car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best NSR GT3 car.

Disclaimer: track is wood with some sort of laminate, appx 70 feet, sweeper not twisty, braid, no issues.
    There are rumors within the Norcal group of an NSR GT3 class. We currently run a mixed Scalextric/Carrera class so this on top of that is a big maybe.

What's the best GT and why (Mosler is banned)?
    Also, between C6 and C7 Corvette's which works better?
    Thanks, Randy

Personal preference. They are all good performers. There is no best.
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
    Facebook-
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
    YouTube-
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Sidewinder or anglewinder allowed? All NSR anglewinders use the 21.5k 350gr long can, all GT3 NSR sidewinders use the 25k 180gr small can motor. There are usually both flavors available for all NSR GT3 cars. The C6 and C7 are identical except for the body and even that isn't much different. Why is the Mosler banned?
      Last edited by Bal r 14; October 4, 2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• War Eagle River
        War Eagle River commented
        Editing a comment
        Aptosc6, no performance advantage with the Mosler. The closest one has ever gotten to a win here is a second place. That’s out of 7 years racing them here.

• War Eagle River
        Editing a comment
        Bal r 14, not sure what you mean that the back of the chassis is too weak for silicone tires? Thats all we race with here and never had any issues.

• Bal r 14
        Bal r 14 commented
        Editing a comment
        War Eagle River, I am going to start a thread about it in the 1/32 forum. I'll show what I mean.

This seems like deja vu

Comment

Interesting... I would get what you like, what floats your boat so to speak. The difference might be marginal at best from what I see, except the mosler.
      I would think that one would get more enjoyment out of a car you like then a car you don't but "might" perform marginally better. Then drive it like you stole it
      "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Glen
      Severna Park, MD

Comment

• SlotCat
        SlotCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Couldn't agree more, I've got couple cars that I bought for 'better' performance and when I look at them on the track...meh. Better to buy and race what you love/like the looks of!

Haha ...the 'Mosler effect' again., that's what I call it. That car, oh man. I have one because it says Castrol on it, but I can't race it because, well, I aim to win when I pull the trigger.

Get any other and you'll enjoy it. These are some of finest. I'm preferential to my C7.Rs, but you simply can't go wrong with these. They're beautiful and all drive so well with minimal tuning.
      Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment

• SlotCat
        SlotCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosler, pass it's kinda plain looking and way too smushed flat looking for my tastes.

Mosler isn't a GT3 it's a Sports car. The FIA rejected its homologation as a GT3.
      Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

Originally posted by Aptosc6 View Post

What's the best GT and why (Mosler is banned)?
        Also, between C6 and C7 Corvette's which works better?
        Thanks, Randy
        Hi Randy, Tuning and tyre prep will be more important than the actual car selection,.......that said, it is hard to go wrong with either the C6 or C7.

As you are racing on wood, I would strongly consider getting a FC-130 motor in a sidewinder configuration. (The NSR sidewinders are actually a 2 degree angle ).

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Depending on your rules, there are plenty of mods that can be made to improve the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4748.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	124848
        Last edited by chrisguyw; October 6, 2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Aptosc6
          Aptosc6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Chris, thanks as always. What size (width) Slotting Plus Bushing Axle Tube assembly is used on the C6 NSR?

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post

Hi Randy, Tuning and tyre prep will be more important than the actual car selection,.......that said, it is hard to go wrong with either the C6 or C7.

As you are racing on wood, I would strongly consider getting a FC-130 motor in a sidewinder configuration. (The NSR sidewinders are actually a 2 degree angle ).

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Depending on your rules, there are plenty of mods that can be made to improve the car.

Name:	DSCN4748.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	124848
        ...and make sure you don't put tyres on it that are too wide for the wheel arches
        Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

• War Eagle River
          Editing a comment
          Chris, you should show an image of a winning NSR Anglewinder set up as well.

Thanks guys. I ordered a C6 last night. I went with that as it is marginally shorter than the C7 (plus I own a real C6). Went sidewinder and will look, but likely run the tires that come with it.
        As with all NSR cars I don't expect to do too much to get this car to be competitive.

Comment

• jrrclk
          jrrclk commented
          Editing a comment
          The NSR cars I have are using the Moseler wheel/tires combination.

• Aptosc6
          Aptosc6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pray tell Jim. What secret have you discovered?

• jrrclk
          jrrclk commented
          Editing a comment
          https://youtu.be/DRpyx8M2rK4

Originally posted by Aptosc6 View Post
        Thanks guys. I ordered a C6 last night. I went with that as it is marginally shorter than the C7 (plus I own a real C6). Went sidewinder and will look, but likely run the tires that come with it.
        As with all NSR cars I don't expect to do too much to get this car to be competitive.
        Hi Randy,...........a couple of responses for questions you asked above,,,,,

1/ You will need the 31mm Sloting Plus axle tube for the NSR triangular sidewinder motor pod

2/ The tires on the car (Supergrips) will be just fine,...particularly if they are glued, trued, and then treated. If you fill the gap between the ridges of the NSR wheels with foam inserts, it will do no harm

3/ It would certainly help to drill the can end bulkhead of the pod to accept 2mm screws, and screw the motor into the pod.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Below is a step by step process on using foam inserts on the NSR hubs....................this shot was taken a few years ago when I used old 1/24 foam tires to make the inserts. I have since convinced ScaleRacing to produce these as small sponge rings that fit over the NSR (and other) air hubs. Since seeing these from Scale Racing, Giovanni (Thunderslot) has decided to also produce them.

Name:	DSCN4343.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	124958

Comment

• jrrclk
          jrrclk commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you sure it's the 31mm? Prof Motor shows the 29.9mm for the triangular pod.

• Aptosc6
          Aptosc6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just got my "combi plus" monobloc bushing. I went to the Prof Mtr site and it states 29.9mm width so I ordered that. They don't fit! Chris is right again. I will need 31mm wide blocs. I guess I will modify these with some brass tubing.

Chris, you should show an image of a winning NSR Anglewinder set up as well.
        Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
        Facebook-
        https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
        YouTube-
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Yes Chris please show the Angle winder

Comment

Originally posted by ALS View Post
            Yes Chris please show the Angle winder
            As I do not race on plastic tracks, I do not have any longcan anglewinder chassis configurations..................I do have some anglewinder pods from NSR/Scaleauto etc., but, these all have FC-130 motors installed,......if that is what you are interested in, I can post some pics.

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Comment

As requested. here are a few shots of chassis with an anglewinder configuration................as I do not race on plastic tracks, I do not use FK-180 "longcan" motors in any chassis, so these anglewinder pods have had FC-130 motors installed.

Apologies if this is not what you were looking for.

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Motor pod suspended both above and below the pod lugs with silicone washers.

The self aligning (self unaligning) bushings have been replaced with single flanged oilites.

Silicone washers have also been used between the chassis body post lugs, and the body posts.

Weight has been added a several places on the chassis/pod, but, the bits have been painted black.

Name:	DSCN4438-copy.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	125117

A 15 year old Ninco Ferrari 360 with the motor box beefed up, the "longcan" removed, and a 25K FC-130 installed.

This car also has SCC front axle blocks, and a Sloting Plus axle tube..........still a great car !!

Name:	DSCN4187-copy.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	125118

The "fingers" that hold the spherical bushings have been removed, and single flanged oilites have been installed.

Silicone washers above and below the pod lugs, and same washers used between the body post and chassis lugs.

Car was not "weighted" at the time of this pic.

Name:	DSCN4325.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	125119

Comment

• GT6
              GT6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Chris, I notice you appear to have used sidewinder gears in most of the illustrated anglewinder pods; I assume you have used this setup with success? It would certainly simplify the gear inventory problem for those of us who seldom venture into anglewinder territory.
              cheers
              Scott

• chrisguyw
              chrisguyw commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Scott, there is absolutely zero reason/benefit(s) to using "angled" gears in any anglewinder motor configuration............virtually all of the high end (and medium end) commercial track cars have been using "straight" cut gears coupled with an "angled" motor for over 50 years,......... using motors that are much more powerful than the ones most here use.
              The "straight" cut gears also obviously do not need to be installed in a specific orientation, so are much more versatile.

• SlotCat
              SlotCat commented
              Editing a comment
              Noticed that too, interesting.
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1