Carrera Digital 2/30 - a question of degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera Digital 2/30 - a question of degrees

I've found my first qualm with Carrera. If one buys two 2/30 high banked curve kits there is a general expectation that each will be 180 degrees in total. This is not the case, however, as each kit seems to be short by 5-10 degrees. I'm not sure the exact amount as I don't want to start snapping track. This is silly.

Has anyone here run into and solved this problem already?

Update: I've bent the curve, but should one of these clips fail I could be killed by the shrapnel. Nice knowing y'all, in that case
    Last edited by DC_OR; September 28, 2021, 01:23 AM.
    Bill
    Eugene, OR
    Thingiverse stuff

Not sure what you asking but yes, the high banked curves are not 180. They are a couple of degrees off. Unless you are just making a circle out of it it's generally not a problem as the track is spread out you can fudge a little with the fitment. Not one of Carrera's better ideas.
    Dave
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
      Not sure what you asking but yes, the high banked curves are not 180. They are a couple of degrees off. Unless you are just making a circle out of it it's generally not a problem as the track is spread out you can fudge a little with the fitment. Not one of Carrera's better ideas.
      Dave
      I had had good luck with UR30's track editor previously but started coloring outside the lines a little too much last night on the track. Definitely not one of their better ideas, but this almost seems like something that made it out of production before it was realized. Maintaining separate SKUs can be a real PITA, so I get it.... but they could always add a fractional extension to resolve it.
      Bill
      Eugene, OR
      Thingiverse stuff

Comment

Yeah it was definitely a design problem that wasn't caught before production. They have been out for so long now it's never gonna get fixed.
        Dave
        Dave
        Saginaw Valley Raceway
        Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Or don't use the banked track. It's been as it is for a long time. Especially if you run F1 cars, they are not great on banks.
          Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

Carrera 2/30 circle high bank oval hastily assembled without snap locks and no supplied supports under it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CarerraHighBank2-30.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	123744

Looks like it will work fine if one takes the time to push and lock each piece AND use the supports?

Andre
            Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

Originally posted by LAMing View Post
              Carrera 2/30 circle high bank oval hastily assembled without snap locks and no supplied supports under it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CarerraHighBank2-30.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	123744

Looks like it will work fine if one takes the time to push and lock each piece AND use the supports?

Andre
              If I was just running it in a loop like that, yes. Once you clip your track in each of those gaps in your picture add up, and as you add straight lengths to the track it amplifies the angle variation. The issue is not wanting to stress the track or clips, and that's the current situation... I've got it working, it's just less than ideal.
              Bill
              Eugene, OR
              Thingiverse stuff

Comment

Originally posted by DC_OR View Post

If I was just running it in a loop like that, yes. Once you clip your track in each of those gaps in your picture add up, and as you add straight lengths to the track it amplifies the angle variation. The issue is not wanting to stress the track or clips, and that's the current situation... I've got it working, it's just less than ideal.
                I have used quite a few banks in my tracks over the years. Which style of track clips are you using? The older horseshoe style clips work much better than the newer slide in clips on banks or any sections that just don't want to close up all the way. I have broken a couple horseshoe clips trying to remove them, but never had any break while in the track. Carrera track is pretty tough.
                Randy

Comment

Originally posted by 32lbking View Post

I have used quite a few banks in my tracks over the years. Which style of track clips are you using? The older horseshoe style clips work much better than the newer slide in clips on banks or any sections that just don't want to close up all the way. I have broken a couple horseshoe clips trying to remove them, but never had any break while in the track. Carrera track is pretty tough.
                  Randy
                  I'm definitely using the new ones as I've just been at this for a bit and haven't bought used. So the horseshoe ones can work in that same slot? I'll chase that as a solution. I appreciate your suggestion!
                  Bill
                  Eugene, OR
                  Thingiverse stuff

Comment

They don't work in the same slot, they go in the male ends of the tabs that connect the track, on the underside. Each track tab will accept a horseshoe clip, but 2 at each joint is all that you need.
                    With banked sections of track you can do them 1 joint at a time, but with say 5-10 flat sections it is sometimes easier to flip the track upside down when connecting them and then flip them back over.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1