1/32 Carrera vs 1/32 Scalextric sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/32 Carrera vs 1/32 Scalextric sizes

Click image for larger version  Name:	132huh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	717.5 KB ID:	121956
    Carrera 1/32 on the bottom, Scalextric 1/32 on top. The Jags seem significantly smaller... should I expect this from other Scalextric cars or was the Jag really this dinky? It doesn't seem that way from what I recall or see in photos, just sleek and gorgeous. I like the Scalextric ones but want to ensure that I'm buying cars that are visually somewhat balanced/similarly sized when racing too.
    Attached Files
    Bill
    Eugene, OR

The Jaguar XK-E was 175.3 inches long and 65.25 inches wide, that is 5.48 and 2.04 inches in 1/32nd scale. I have a database somewhere that lists most of the classic sports and racing cars. I was not able to find that, but you can look up individual cars on Wikipedia.

Comment

As I recall the E-Type is/was a rather small car. But on the other hand I think most Carrera 1/32 slot cars are somewhat oversized.

Comment

Want does the Scalextric XKE measure? They are/were not really big, I worked at a station the local Jaguar dealer used, I fueled up brand new ones all the time and more than once the gas came straight out the bottom of the car.
        I saw one parked at a pizza place yesterday, all by its lonesome in the corner of the lot.
        Allan

Comment

The XKE is so beautiful (Enzo Ferrari said it was the most beautiful a car could ever be), people tend to take dramatic photos of it, and artists paint them in a monumental style. For those who were never personally close to them, an idea of a much larger car sinks in, and when they stand beside one, it seems tiny. At shows, its the comment you hear most often- "I always thought it was a much bigger car!" My friend here who worked in the Coventry factory in England is a Jaguar expert and people ship cars to him for special work has been kind enough to let me come play in his amazing shop. Since I started coming out to the woods where he lives and works, I have seen and sat in so many British cars I feel like an expert, too (chortle, ho-ho-ho).

More to the subject of the topic, I agree with M-Bob above on both counts. We once set up comparisons on HRW of photos of cars made by several manufacturers- all the same car. The variance was far more broad than any of us thought, but still didn't detract from the field for a race. Side by side comparisons will open your eyes, but zipping by on the track, you would never know. Actually, what we noticed most was that the manufacturers took varying depths of creative license with the shapes of the cars. Fly/GB Track was closest most of the time to actual proportions, Scaley next, then down the list a bit was Carrera. Then NSR and Slot.it came along, and we kinda lost interest in the comparison. Whatever you do, don't park your Fly or Scaley GT 40 next to the NSR. Makes your eyes cross.

Comment

Good deal - I remember them being smaller, just threw me for a loop compared to the cars that came with the set! Agreed - it is one gorgeous car... I had already been quietly searching for a Jag and when I asked my wife what car she'd like she said she wanted a Jag, so it worked out! Now I just need to solder in the replacement chips so they'll drive on Carrera track...
            Bill
            Eugene, OR

Comment

Yes, the 1:1 E-type (XKE) is quite small. I have a 1970 Series II FHC (2 seat coupe) and have to practice being a contortionist to get in. Feels like you are sitting on the ground when you drive it.
              Kip - Kennesaw, GA USA, Home Track: Corsa Autodromo Seminterrato

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1