To scuff or not to scuff TITQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To scuff or not to scuff TITQ?

So having had Scalextric "Classic" track, then moving over to Ninco track( only to have them go out of business), and then switching to Scalextric Sport track, I must say that the Sport track is the slickest surface I have driven on.
    How slick? Well I am having a very difficult job keeping cars on the track unless they have the strongest mag ets in them, and are positioned very close to the rear axle.
    I have invested a lot in cars over the past year, and don't like the fact that unless I put silicone rear tires on them, they just don't handle like I was used to with my other tracks. In fact I don't recall ever having to buy silicone tires for my cars back then.
    So This Is The Question. Should I try scuffing up the corners on my Scalextric Sport track? Thinking of using 800 grit sandpaper on the R1 & R2 curves that are 90 degree turns. At this point I say, What is the worst that can happen? Maybe it ruins the track pieces and I have to replace them? Hell I'm already forking out between 6 and 13 dollars on a pair of silicone. AND thats if they are even available. Thinking Carrera Evolution cars here.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

have you tryed wiping the track down before you run and what kind of shape are your tires in. i take it they are stick stock.
    if so give them a slight sanding on a skid plate to get down to fresh rubber and a drop of 3n1 oil rubbed in will do wonders. clean the tires often with sticky tape and you will see the traction improve. I ran for years non magnet on sport track for years. tires and track need to be clean .
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Kevan
      Kevan commented
      Editing a comment
      If you use 3 in 1 oil you'll need to leave them for at least 6 hours (preferably 24) to get a decent improvement in traction.

I run all my cars box stock on Scalextric Sport track and only have handling problems when the rubber tires are drying out and losing their grip. Usually this happens on the Carrera cars first (sometime after only 2 years!). As noted by DocDoom, lightly applying a few drops of 3n1 oil to the tires and working it into the rubber with your fingers, can restore them. That may seem counter-intuitive to apply oil to tires, but it really works to extend the rubber tire life. Once the rubber tires are gone, I try to replace with stock rubber for Scalextric and usually buy Paul Gage replacements for the Carrera cars - got tired of buying hard to find Carrera stock tires only to have them dry out or wither after a few years.

Ralph
    Toronto, Ontario
    Canada

Comment

Doc doom, I have purchased close to a dozen brand new Scalextric cars since January of this year. They don't have the issues with the track. I usually lightly sand them to true them and thats it.
      I also have bought a dozen or more Ninco classic cars, Carrera Evolution cars, and some older Scalextric, SCX, FLY, and others. Yes, these are older cars, many are no longer produced and so tires might be dried out. I have tried sanding these and oiling them, with little effect.
      I have also bought new OEM rubber tires for Carrera Evolution cars without any improvement in traction.
      I have also added weight in the worst performers.
      This is why I am now contemplating scuffing the curves.
      I also wipe down the track before each use, and clean the tires with sticky tape before and during laps.
      Last edited by Zippideedooda; September 17, 2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Well sounds like you have that part covered. Instead of scuffing the track try painting the section with the traction issue. There is product called stone work that had a rough texture that be what you are looking for.
        THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
        Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Zippideedooda
          Zippideedooda commented
          Editing a comment
          I really don't care for painted track. I like the looks of my track. Here in Wisconsin freshly paved roads are jet black.

I thought there was a post about painting plastic track and what type of paint to use ?

Comment

• Zippideedooda
          Zippideedooda commented
          Editing a comment
          I am sure there is. Just not my " cup of tea" sir.

PM sent.
        -Harry

Comment

Nothing much to add here except to share I outfit all my Carrera oval cars with silicone tires (same goes for all my oval cars). My road course cars all get PG urethanes. Both are routed tracks - the oval surface is smooth and slick Masonite (hardboard) and the road course surface is MDF painted with latex.

Quick Slicks for Carrera Evolution cars are my standard solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA06F_260x.jpg?v=1605717554.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	121255

Comment

• Zippideedooda
            Zippideedooda commented
            Editing a comment
            Your a lucky guy to have the space for two tracks. Thanks for the tire suggestion. Will check this out further. Scott

Maybe consider going back to your Ninco track or the newer Policar track. It sounds your trying to replicate the rougher surfaces of these tracks by sanding your Scaley track anyway. I've run on Carrera track and Ninco, and I prefer the grippier Ninco track - it certainly saves on having to buy a bunch of aftermarket tires. Scaley and Carrera's still need better tires, but much of the rest do fine with stock tires.

Bill

Comment

• Zippideedooda
            Zippideedooda commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately I have over a dozen Scalextric digital cars, and though I could combine the two track pieces and still run my digital cars it gets very complicated in building a track. I have done it in the past. Thanks for your thoughts. Scott

Won't 800 grit make it even slicker? ..... I would have thought 80 grit would rough it up more. I use 180 on my NSR tyres and they come out almost as smooth as a babies bum.

Comment

• Zippideedooda
            Zippideedooda commented
            Editing a comment
            You may be right Wobble. Thanks for your input.

I run Scaley Sport. If rubber tires glue and true. Prep with oil NSR or similar. Same for Urethane but no oil. Traction is good. Clean the tires and have at it.
          Arrold Martin
          Nashville TN

Comment

• Zippideedooda
            Zippideedooda commented
            Editing a comment
            arroldn, I have mostly rubber tires. A few older cars that the tires were very hard I replaced with silicone tires on the rears. The silicone tires made a definite improvement on those cars. I plan on checking out urethane tires too, since I have been told that they are available for lots of cars, and are easier to sand true than silicone tires. Good to hear that you don't have traction issues with Sport track.

• drvanski
            drvanski commented
            Editing a comment
            Silicone tires will work best on Sport track. The problem for me is that I like to keep stock axle assemblies/wheels and silicone tires are very difficult to true. Add to this that I sometimes race on wood tracks, urethane becomes my tire of choice. Urethane tires are easy to true and give decent grip on my Sport track. If you're running urethane, the track will eventually rubber in raising grip levels. I only use water to clean tires and avoid oil treatment as this will eventually degrade the tires. In answer to the original question: not scuff. Raise your tire game.
            Last edited by drvanski; September 19, 2021, 12:21 PM.

I cleaned my Scalextric track in the past. Then I stopped wiping it down as I noticed it would build up rubber when run consistently. If it sat for a while, I would put a few magnet cars on the track and turn 300 plus laps while stopping to clean the tires and it would come back every time.

Comment

• Zippideedooda
            Zippideedooda commented
            Editing a comment
            That is very interesting Brumos. I wipe my track down before each use just to remove the dust that has settled on it since the previous running. I don't use any fluids when I do this and do not press hard either so I don't think I am rubbing off any of the rubber build up. Maybe I just need to "run in" the track more to improve the grip. This would be easy to check out and I will. Thank you for your imput.

• Brumos RSR
            Brumos RSR commented
            Editing a comment
            It you have a lap timer you will know when you’re back to normal based on your lap times.
        Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1