Ye olde Pontiac Firebird kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ye olde Pontiac Firebird kit

Ain't it just the bees knees when an old kit with holes drilled in its flanks and an A pillar and rear bumper missing, but has good glass (although it took a bit of grumbling to get it out) and good front chrome, crosses your path when you've been wanting one for eons to fit onto a Pioneer T/A chassis 'cos you've had a thing about Pontiacs since your Grandma bought you your 1st Matchbox toy which was a Ponty all those years ago, and the name Pontiac just stuck with you. This'll be FUN. Thanks Nana.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5173.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	120138

Nice find I’ve got a 67 Camaro body just itchin to get a chassis under it too
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

The end result doesn’t have to be perfect, just a lot of fun driving it!!

Great bones looking to create a ton of smiles!!!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

I used a Sebring chassis, I never thought to try a Pioneer chassis. Click image for larger version  Name:	17435928_10211284664046957_5265758590147017918_o (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	593.6 KB ID:	120153

Comment

That is a great kit. Look forward to seeing your build.
          -Harry

Comment

Hood tachs are cool, especially on Firebirds and GTO's.

My Revell Firebird has a Revell chassis for now. I compared it to a Pioneer Camaro and it looks like the same wheelbase, the bodies are a lot alike too, good swap idea..
            That is an older Revell 1/32 "Snap Together" kit unless it was a slot car. The kits have the same parts if you need a bumper and an interior and stuff. They pop up once in a while on that auction site .
            Allan

Comment

It certainly looks like a Revell kit body and although it was used as a slot car there aren't any body posts and the chassis doesn't look very Revellish. The holes in the flanks were to screw it to this so I'm very fortunate the rear arches aren't twice the size that they are, and a Pioneer chassis will foot the bill quite nicely and as the body is very light it'll be a flier.

Name:	IMGP5176.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	120505

Comment

• Rastas
                Rastas commented
                Editing a comment
                What's wrong with that 🤣😂

• Wobble
                Wobble commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess there's nothing 'wrong' with it at all .... just doesn't suit the class the car will be running in.

Successfully fabricated an A pillar from 1mm styrene sheet and glued in place. Not perfect but once painted up and with the help of the window glass holding it in place it'll be as good as gold.

Name:	IMGP5177.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	120628

Comment

I've been busy with some other stuff including a couple of Scalex inline Ford Taurus Nascars and I needed to turn some plastic disposable plates into interiors so I popped some out for this Ponty and a couple of others waiting in the wings

Name:	IMGP5186.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	124506

and some for the Nascars as well.

Name:	IMGP5187.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	124507

Comment

• Michael Squier
                  Michael Squier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s cool, did you make your own vacuum forming machine?

Yes, but it's not really a machine. It's just a vacuum cleaner for suction, a kitchen stove for heat, a simple (hard to describe, I'll add some photos), some bull clips and pliers so you don't burn your fingers.
                Hold it over the heat until the plate gets kid of shimmery and will vibrate if you shake it a little and then quickly get it over your mould/buck and let the vacuum finish it off.

Name:	DSCF5818.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	124643 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5819.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	124644 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5820.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	124645 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5822.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	124646 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5832.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	124647

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                  TuscoTodd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that is a slick idea! Thank you for sharing!

• Michael Squier
                  Michael Squier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s cool, and simple! Hardest part will be making the mold

Body posts now in place and mounted to a Pioneer T/A chassis with SRC Minilites and NSR Ultras for P76 and some front tyres out of the bin. So it's now time to start thinking about some paint and as much as I like the red and white Jerry Titus livery I want to keep the black wheels so I might go with a period looking 'might have run' livery.

Name:	DSCF6200.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	125477

Last edited by Wobble; October 10, 2021, 03:28 AM. Reason: Swapped out photo for something a bit better.

Comment

• Wobble
                  Wobble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It turns out this hasn't got SRC Minilites but in fact they're Scalextric Javelin hubs off the yellow/black car which now has Carrera COT Nascar wheels.

When disaster strikes. .....

I've used Duplicolor Chrome on quite a few slot cars without any hassles but then, I've never tried to mask over it. I figured I'd left it long enough before masking but alas, this is the result.

Name:	DSCF6202.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	126422 So, back to the drawing board.

Comment

I am thinking most if not all of us has had this same thing happen!!!!

stripping this down is not as bad as some other “fixes “ I have found myself in!!!

The risks never are that damaging which makes taking the risk a great part of the hobby!!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

The two tone color is a very nice start

Comment

Very disappointing when that happens, you may get away with sanding it and a quick recoat after a few days.
                      I have a body in process of a two tone paint job, I may give it a few extra days after seeing this.
                      Brad
                      Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1