Race Coordinator, Trackmate, ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Coordinator, Trackmate, ect.

As most of you know there have been issues here in the Portland area with Race Coordinator on some of our tracks, Mine, Al's, Montes, Howies, ect.

Some of these have been fixed by switching to Trackmate hardware.

My issue wasn't loss of power like the others, Mine would go to a blue screen and having to restart the PC. Sometimes this would happen while idle, most of the time it was when adding racers or setting up a race.
    I took the PC down to the local guru in town He checked it out and told me there was nothing wrong with the unit and it was probably something in the digital download. His suggestion was to remove the program and install it again.
    I did this repeatedly to no good affect.
    Monte and Al set up my timing system while I was recovering from my stroke so my awareness was somewhat limited at the time, I just sat there swaying in the chair, but since I had no wifi or internet downstairs at the time we downloaded the program on the PC upstairs and put it on a memory stick to transfer to the race PC.
    After adding Wifi downstairs I had never tried a direct download to the race PC. That was the trick, in my case it has worked flawlessly since. I think part of the program is getting corrupted in the memory stick transfer.

Just an FYI for those of you who are wanting to set up a timing system at home.

I race with Mitch in the NASTE club in Portland. My track in Newberg (25 miles south) has Race Coordinator with a DS light bridge (infrared lights) doing the detection. I have never had an issue with the software cutting out or power loss. The relay that controls track power has its own power supply (which has been mentioned as a potential problem with this issue). My downloads were all with WiFi close by, so probably no issue there. The tracks in our club that seemed to have issues all used dead strips for detection; I'm not sure if that was part of the problem or not.

Apparently, these systems can be a bit touchy, either through download, transfer, or fluctuating power. To be sure that yours works properly, ensure that everything is as clean and powered up as possible.
    Stan S.
    Newberg, OR
    Autodromo Rossa Colline (Red Hills Raceway)
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

I have RC on my track laptop computer, the track has Trackmate hardware and I normally use Trackmate software. In practice mode RC will sometimes lock up, so I have never used it during an actual race. I believe that I downloaded RC to my desktop computer, copied that to a thumb drive and loaded it onto the laptop from that. I would not think that making a copy of the program on a thumb drive would corrupt it, it seems more likely to me that the original download was corrupted.

Comment

Unless the stick drive is corrupted it shouldn’t be a problem transferring from PC to PC. We have both RC & TM. Prefer TM because of it’s simplicity.
        Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
        Facebook-
        https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
        YouTube-
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Is there an error message displayed on the Blue Screen?
          Rob

Comment

The odds of transferring a program from one media to another making the program still functional but causing sporadic failures is almost impossible. Any binary file would have a check digit value that must match or the program won't execute. The program isn't going to run without establishing an environment to run in, which means there was something in the folder that contains the software that was missed. User error, not media problems.
            Last edited by Bal r 14; September 1, 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Many cases if you have upgraded computers and are still using the old 25 pin serial connector there will be random communication issues coming up time to time if you are using a 25 pin serial to USB adapter. As track owners have migrated to modern computers without 25 pin serial connections I have seen this happen as the serial to USB adapters especially the very cheap ones are not reliable. Most of us have switched to USB hardware from the serial hardware. Random locking up and rebooting was the previous annoying fix.

Comment

Yeah, I'm using a Dell OptiPlex 745c running Windows XP. Nothing "modern" there. There's also pretty much nothing else running except RC, so not much to interfere. Have never had a problem.
                Stan S.
                Newberg, OR
                Autodromo Rossa Colline (Red Hills Raceway)
                Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

I'm using TM, not RC so probably nothing of help here. But since we're on the topic of malfunctioning race management software I thought I'd comment on my recent TM issues.

On a few rare occasions in the past, including during the T/A proxy this past Monday night TrackMate froze up on me. I checked all my hardware connections, Windows, and upgraded to the latest version of TM (I was previously using 9.4.2).

As it turned out, TM was having difficulty finding my com port. I swapped ports for the mouse cable and the TM cable and problem solved. Both TrackMate and my mouse are happy now.
                  Team SCANC
                  Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
                  OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
                  Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• Cgyracer
                    Cgyracer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good idea switching ports Steve.

• Fast Co.
                    Fast Co. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The credit for that actually goes to Choke05 (Scott). But it worked a charm!

I have found that using a serial to USB adapter is usually the problem, I found that most of the cheap adapters caused problems. Buy a good brand adapter, they usually have a better chip and chase less problems.

Comment

• Cgyracer
                    Cgyracer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree

I use the serial to USB adapter that was sold by Trackmate and I have had few problems. In order for a computer to recognize the adapter a software driver needs to be installed. As I see it there can be a number of possible problems, the driver, the adapter, the interface unit or the Trackmate software. Another possible problem could be caused by RFI picked up by the various connections. The interface unit does have filters to minimize RFI interference, but that would still be a possibility.
                  There is more information about Trackmate here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzL...ew?usp=sharing and on dead strips here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1axr...ew?usp=sharing
                  Trackmate updates its software from time to time to include bug fixes or add new features. It id not a bad idea to download and install the latest version. You can have different versions of the software on your computer, you can only use one of those at a time. One nice feature of the later versions is that the the setup from the previous version will get copied over to the new one so that it will be ready to go.
                  I am using the old Trackmate red interface unit along with a serial to USB adapter. I have been tempted to get the newer black interface unit with the USB output.

Comment

One of our club PCs died recently and we had no more PCs with serial ports, so I just added a serial card to a later machine and it is running fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1