Lets talk rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk rubber

So there been lots and lots of talk about NSR rubber tires and how almost every body not a fan of the evos'
    so with that said what else id out there that is a good replacement for the old nsr super grips and ulltra tires?
    1st thing that pop up are thunder slot slicks. they work great, problem is there hard to find now

slot it makes a number of rubber tires compounds ,
    maybe some one than has used them and chime in and give some feed back on what good and what to stay away from.
    did a little re search and here is the list of slot it compounds
    P1 / P2 / P3 Non Abrasive (smooth plastic track or smooth routed wood track
    P4 / P5 Abrasive Ninco Plastic Track
    p6/ Scalextric Sport / Carrera / Wood Routed track surfaces
    F15 / F22 / F30 Any Track Surface & Conditions
    N22 Compound these I have tryed and they had no traction what so ever..
    SCALEAUTO tires
    to many to list

Last edited by docdoom; August 30, 2021, 12:30 PM.
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Classic rock and hard place. I've never had a pair of Slot It tires hook up on a wood track. They are decent on a plastic track but silicone are better. The ThunderSlot tires are really good but, if you can't get them, what can you do? The NSR evo's still work but you have to take your time trueing them. I have found a Tire Razor works better than a Hudy for these tires. Patience is rewarded.

Comment

Thx for starting this thread as I am in need of tire info. I have a late start in rubber tires and unfortunately bought a lot of NSR evo’s thinking NSR rubber was the best but the EVO’s are really bad. I like the Thunderslot rubber either the treaded 002R or the 004R slicks I found the 005X while offering incredible grip balled up like crazy on my painted Carrera track. I am now trying the sideways rubber tires and will post more info as I go. So far so good with the few I have tried out. They have a “hi-grip” and “pro-speed” formulas but again just started trying these…
      I have not tried any slot-it tires yet but probably will in the near future.
      Anymore tires out there to try???

Comment

Originally posted by docdoom View Post
        So there been lots and lots of talk about NSR rubber tires and how almost every body not a fan of the evos'
        so with that said what else id out there that is a good replacement for the old nsr super grips and ulltra tires?
        1st thing that pop up are thunder slot slicks. problem is there hard to find now

Hello Doc,. I think a little more info is needed ........as you know, different rubber compounds work to varying degrees on different surfaces, as an example, the new Slot-it G25's are quite good on Policar track (they have been formulated for Policar track) but, are not the best on wood), ...and "treating" the tires can make a significant difference, if your rules/club allows this. Additionally, rubber tires do tend to favour a heavier car.

So,.......what surface(s) are you running on ??,....do you treat your tires ??,....and , do you add much chassis ballast ??

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Comment

• docdoom
          docdoom commented
          Editing a comment
          we run on routed mdf tracks
          we are allowed to treat the tires. not allowed to run the car on the track if theyare wet or leave oil ect on the track.
          run non mag so yes we run ballast

I've seen some differences in the rubber tires from Revo Slot and BRM. On my painted MDF track the two latest RS cars came with tires that were far too sticky, went gummy and had very little traction even without truing before running. The latest BRM BMW 2002 had the same issue with the stock tires that are supposed be be shore 30, went gummy and had to be changed. I had shore 22 rubber that was much better and didn't go gummy. My BRM and RS cars don't have additional weight and I don't run treated rubber.
        On earlier RS and BRM releases the stock rubber tires are still being used with no issues. I did order some BRM 30 shore replacements but have the same issue with them going gummy. I will just stick with urethane, the rubber may produce a slightly better lap time but never any issues with my PG tires.
        Brad
        Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

so more talk
          anybody try these yet?
          loting Plus High Performance Slick RUBBER Rear Tires - 19 x 10mm "SAGA" Compound - 4 tires per package

This new "SAGA" tire is designed for racing Group C, Classic, GT3 etc ... The main qualities are durability and stability of the tire during your long use, very good traction on the exit of curves, good performance under braking and most important allows the back of the car to slide in the curve. Also features excellent equilibrium between traction and slip in the curve.

Sloting Plus High Performance Slick RUBBER Rear Tires - 19 x 10.5mm - 4 tires per package - Recommended for 15.5mm or larger Rims

Sloting Plus has developed a new mold and a new rubber composition specifically for this tire. This new tire is different from S2 texture and a bit tougher than it and has been also designed for competition, for a great grip on tracks with little grip and excellent performance on tracks with little use. This new tire has slightly rounded edges for easy cornering. Its main strengths lie in a homogeneous, stable and prolonged wear, maintaining to the end its properties and performance. Their life expectancy is high and the lap times are constant until the very end of his life. This new M-S7 tire serves for wheel rims starting from 15.5 and for all GT models, Road Cars, Rally etc ... Like the rest of the Sloting Plus tires, settles perfectly in any of the brand wheel rims models and, of course, also in the most common slot wheels.
          THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
          Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• mattb
            mattb commented
            Editing a comment
            How does the back end slide out if a magnet holds in over the slot. I have very little experience with magnets, but the few magnet cars I ran would start sliding out on a corner and then fly toward the wall.

• docdoom
            docdoom commented
            Editing a comment
            racing non magnet

• Kevan
            Kevan commented
            Editing a comment
            I presume that's marketing blurb you quoted.
            I've not bought sloting plus tyres for about 3 years, those I did buy were on a par with Ninco tyres.

I have asked about these Slotting Plus tires over the last few months. Received no feedback on them. Be interested to know what NSR/Slot.it tire they would be comparable to. Or at least a shore rating?
          "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Glen
          Severna Park, MD

Comment

Where does Paul Gage tires fall into all of this ?

Comment

• gsnopoint
              gsnopoint commented
              Editing a comment
              Paul Gage tires are urethane. thread is about rubber

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              More specifically NSR Ultras and Supers rubber alternatives.

• Fathead59
              Fathead59 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks gsnopoint , that was what I was wondering

I have a durometer, so I can determine the Shore value of a tire providing that it is large enough. In order to get an accurate value the material must be thick enough, that usually means taking a reading on the sidewall. If possible you would like to take readings on a slab of material that is at least a quarter of an inch thick.
            You can true soft rubber tires with a Hudy if you turn the voltage down to 5 and use a lubricant.
            I have recently completed an article that covers everything that I know about slot car tires. I plan on making it available after a friend has proof read it.

Comment

• Fathead59
              Fathead59 commented
              Editing a comment
              When you are talking about a lubricant , what type are you talking about

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              Lighter fluid work great for heavy cuts.

I believe that WD-40 was used by a club member that was doing NSR tires.

Comment

Ok , can someone explain an easy way to tell which is which , urethane or rubber ? I have a bunch of tires that I want to mount and I just need a way , easy preferred , but if it is only going to be hard way , well if I have to burn a tire so be it .

Comment

• SuperSlab
                SuperSlab commented
                Editing a comment
                See my response in the other thread where you asked this question

• Kevan
                Kevan commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't you ask this already?
                Clean the tyre with lighter fluid, rubber will feel much grippier, urethane won't.
                Urethane leaves white powder when it's trued, rubber leaves mostly black.

• Fathead59
                Fathead59 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I did double up on this question , I couldn't find the original post , that was my fault , and Kevan thank you for the answer that I was looking for

Is it possible that something has changed with the rubber that the slot car manufacturers are using? I just set up another Revo Slot car on stock rubber and the tires are much much softer and useless on painted wood.
              Brad
              Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Has anyone tried scaleauto tyres? They make a good range, do they react well with tyre treatments? How do they compare to NSRs?
                Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

On the subject of tire truing with a lubricant...

I have experimented with wet-sanding tires in a bath of water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. I have done this on a benchtop milling machine, which spins the tire on a vertical axis instead of horizontally like a Hudy machine does. I have built a rectangular tank and installed wet/dry sandpaper on one vertical wall as the abrasive.

Adding a dishwashing detergent removes the surface tension of the water and allows it to wet the tire more thoroughly. It makes the water a better lubricant -- more slippery. It may also help suspend the tire dust in the water.

Sanding tires in a lubricant bath does two things. It eliminates the stick-slip that some tires experience, making it possible to true some of the gummier rubber tires. And it keeps the tire cool. This will reduce the tendency of the rubber to change size due to heating, and also prevent overheating.

Doing the truing on a benchtop mill takes advantage of the micrometer feed of the X/Y table. You can advance the feed a few thousandths of an inch at a time. It is possible to true a set of tires to identical diameters measured to a thousandth of an inch. A digital readout on the mill makes this easier, especially on the cheap mills that are common, but have a ton of backlash in their feeds. Adding a digital readout to a cheap mill is a huge improvement.

It is a bit harder to see the progress in truing -- you need to raise the tire out of the lubricant bath to check on things. But it is also relatively easy to set up a dial indicator to test the amount of run-out that remains. The fact the mill has a speed control helps when checking the runout.

You are not going to buy a benchtop mill just to true tires. But it is a really useful tool for all kinds of work. I bought mine a long time ago because I felt I'd make use of it. Turns out I have. Enough that I feel it was a good investment. I'd hate to be without it.

Ed Bianchi
                  Last edited by HO RacePro; September 3, 2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

You have to go slowly and use minimal pressure when you true anything that can be compressed. If you use too much pressure you will reduce the diameter of the tire without making it perfectly round. If tires are not perfectly true the car will make a drumming sound as it goes around a wood track. That sound would get drowned out on a sectional plastic track. If you run some laps and examine the tire tread that will be completely smooth if the tire is perfectly true. If you can still see a pattern on the tread the tire needs more work.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1