hudy maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hudy maintenance

so i got a new hudy from SCC yesterday. the manual says to clean it after use,but makes no mention of lubrication points or type. are the bearings sealed for no maintenance? been looking around but cant seem to find ant info, maybe im looking in the wrong area.looks like a nice machine and i'd hate to wreck it. any info on maintenance would be appretiated. thanks,bill
    bill ,framingham ma

If its new it won't need oiling for ages, I don't think I've oiled mine more than twice since I got it 4 years ago. Light bearing oil on the moving parts just like your slot cars.
    Brush & vacuum will be needed.
    Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

Also use a sanding belt cleaner to clean the drum. Looks like a big eraser.
      Butch Dunaway
      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a brass wire brush.

You shouldn't have to worry about lubricating the bearing on a new Hudy tire truer. Keep it clean with bottled air (Blow Off or equivalent) after each use; get a sanding belt cleaner like Butch suggested and it should last a long, long time. You really want to keep the sanding drum as clean as you can; particularly if you're truing either silicone or soft rubber (NSR Ultragrips or equivalent) tires.

One other thing that you'll want to do on the penultimate grind (the next to the last one) is to move the mandrel inward and back by pushing against the back of the mandrel. This gets, or helps to get, rid of any lines that appear in your tires as you true them.

You will really like this tire truer!

Allan

Comment

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't recommend silicones on it, NSR Ultras true really easily on a Hudy - especially if you add a few drops of lighter fluid on the tyre whilst doing the heavier cuts.

Excellent. Thanks Guys for the info I do know about that big eraser, what about that part about lining up the drum with the spindle, is that necessary on a brand new machine?
      bill ,framingham ma

Comment

• Audi1
        Audi1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be interested to see what you get for replies to this question, since the instructions that come with the Hudy say to be sure that the mandrel and the drum are aligned before starting to true tires. But, I have never seen a description of exactly how to do that. It is, however, a critical part of truing a fast tire.

our club uses silicon and a member has been truing his tires with a hudy for years so i figured i'd try one. ran it last night and seemed to work well.
      bill ,framingham ma

Comment

• Aptosc6
        Aptosc6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I also race HO cars and all of us that true silicone tires are using a diamond drum instead of the stock drum.

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't think the stock drum was coarse enough, it certainly struggles with NSR red tyres.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1