Bad memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad memory

Some time ago I remember reading an article on how to make stacks from aluminum tubing.
    If anyone can help me, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
    I thought (LOL) that I created a file and now can not find it.
    Please, help me...

I have also seen/read several articles over the years on making injector stacks from alu. tubing, but, I don't have a good one handy........

Basically, you would use a flaring tool or a punch to flare the end of the tubing,...cut to length,......and away you go !!!

I did this for years, until I found..... "Uninsulated ferrules" (google). They come in a bunch of diameters and lengths, and are waaayyyy easier (and nicer looking) than making them from scratch.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

A few cars that I have used them on....various sizes, depending on the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4160-copy.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	11666

Name:	DSCN2847-copy.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	11667

Name:	DSCN4263-copy.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	11668

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-60-copy.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	11669

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-131.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	11670

Name:	2004-01-01-00-00-00-79-copy.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	11671

Name:	2004-01-01-00-00-00-34-copy.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	11672

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-25-copy.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	11673

Comment

You ever see cars as nice as Chris builds????

You can get those ferrules in packets of 50 at McMaster-Carr. I have some pat numbers for the appropriate sizes for 1/32 and 1/24, if you need them. They do have tables showing length and diameter.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

Here's a little follow up. On the left are 6mm. These are perfect for 1/8 inch axle spacers. On the right are 4mm which are what I use on my 1/24 cars like pictured below. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	11706
        This picture shows the 6mm, 4 mm and a smaller size, guessing maybe 2mm. The 2mm is maybe what Chris uses for the 1/32 cars. I don't have the package for the small size. Chris might know the size he uses for 1/32. I can measure them later if needed.

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	11707
        these are 4mm and 1/24 scale.

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	11708
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

Why reinvent the wheel? I'll order 2-4MM Ferrell.
          Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by mattb View Post

1: You ever see cars as nice as Chris builds????

2: You can get those ferrules in packets of 50 at McMaster-Carr. I have some pat numbers for the appropriate sizes for 1/32 and 1/24, if you need them. They do have tables showing length and diameter.
            1: Nope!

2: Very nice...and helpful. Thanks!

Mark in Oregon

Comment

The cars Chris builds certainly represent the high water mark.... Always enjoy his postings.

Val

Comment

Matt,
                I went to Ferrules Direct. I ordered 2mm ferrules and it was $13.00 for 100.
                I know that is a lot, but I will share if anyone wants some for postage.

Comment

Chris's cars are nothing short of incredible !
                  Can someone help me with a part # for the short ferrules he uses on the 1/32 GP cars please ?
                  The Ferrules Direct site confuses me !

Comment

I just found these on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231299897875
                    Butch

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I buy ferrules from McMaster-Carr, 50-100 in lots. Some of the ferrules they sell come in bags from Ferrules direct. There should be 2-3 guys on the forum that could use 8-16 for a couple dollars mailed in an envelope. That will help you get back a few dollars. Some of you guys will want a few, so step up and buy a few from Frank. Like so much today postage is more than the actual item,
                      Matt B
                      So. In
                      Crashers

Comment

Originally posted by JerzeyGuy View Post
                        Can someone help me with a part # for the short ferrules he uses on the 1/32 GP cars please ?
                        The Ferrules Direct site confuses me !

Hi, I am sorry, but, I can't help with actual part #'s...........there is a local electronics shop that sells them loose, and I just pick a size that seems appropriate. I normally buy longer ones in any given diameter and shorten them with a dremel if needed.

The ferrules direct site does have a diagram indicating the dimensions of flare/bore/length, and, this is a good reference for picking a size. They are grouped by AWG, and, I would normally use ones in the 18AWG range for smaller displacement motors (GP cars), and 16/14AWG for CanAm (larger displacement) motors.
                        (If you model comes with plastic trumpets/stacks, measure these and use as a reference).

Again, sorry that I can't give you an actual part #.

Cheers
                        Chris Walker

Comment

Frank guys are messaging me about the 2mm size. If you are good with sharing your order, post that so guys will know. It's a good way for them to try out 16 or so and help with your costs.
                          Matt B
                          So. In
                          Crashers

Comment

Matt,
                            Good idea. What do you think of. maybe, 8 for a dollar + postage. What could that be, $.50?

Comment

I'd think 8 for $1.50, 16 for $2.50 is pretty fair and will help you get back some of what you paid and you won't have twice as many as you need. Whenever possible I work with some other guys to order big lots of stuff and then we share the costs. Postage gets pretty crazy anymore. Sometimes minimum order size is more than one guy can use.
                              Matt B
                              So. In
                              Crashers

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1