NSR Tire Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSR Tire Comparison

There's been a lot of talk about NSR tires lately, especially the newer EVO compound.

When I bought slot cars tires in the past, I removed them from the original packaging and placed them into nickel-sized coin tubes on which I marked the brand and size. Unfortunately, I did not differentiate between NSR's older compound and the newer EVO compound tires.

Retrieving some NSR 5230 tires from a tube I noticed quite a difference in the appearance of the tires. One pair in the photo on the left looked very glossy, the other pair on the right had more of a matte finish. I'm assuming the matte pair are the earlier compound of tires (they were deeper in the tube) and the glossy tires are the newer EVO compound. Is this a good method of differentiating the tires? And if so, where on Earth can the older compound tires be found?

Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	NSR Tire Comparison.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	720.1 KB
ID:	115857

Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

I have found so far with the evo tires that it takes all 4 to get set glued up and true. I either have one split after glueing them up. Or they split after I true them up. Then there the performance problems after all that work. To say I'm not a fan so far would be a understatement.
    Last edited by docdoom; August 20, 2021, 07:09 PM.
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Co. View Post

Retrieving some NSR 5230 tires from a tube I noticed quite a difference in the appearance of the tires. One pair in the photo on the left looked very glossy, the other pair on the right had more of a matte finish. I'm assuming the matte pair are the earlier compound of tires (they were deeper in the tube) and the glossy tires are the newer EVO compound. Is this a good method of differentiating the tires? And if so, where on Earth can the older compound tires be found?

Steve

Hi Steve, The gloss vs. matt finish on NSR tires is not a definitive indicator of their formulation.............I have had many gloss vs. matt appearing tires in both formulations.

I think you will be hard pressed to find many "original" NSR's (especially in the more popular sizes), .......many of the hardcore racers (me included) have scoured the shops in both the US and Europe and bought up the "originals".

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Comment

• Fast Co.
        Fast Co. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chris. Definitely good to know. I'm sure NSR gets their tires from a third party source, but it would be great if they could specify and appropriate the old compound.

Steve, I do not know of a sure way of visually distinguishing EVO from regular tyres, sorry. Other than truing and running them, which is no help.

As for sourcing "old" NSR tyres: the one thing I will caution is that finding an advertised set of tyres without the EVO in the description online is no guarantee that they ARE in fact non-EVO tyres. I fell into that trap once when ordering non-EVO tyres and receiving EVO tyres. Since then, if I do find tyres advertised online without the EVO in the description, I contact the seller and ask them to SPECIFICALLY check that the tyres are indeed non-EVO. A couple of times now I have had the seller come back to me to say no, they actually are EVO tyres!

As for a source: tough to find. Hen's teeth spring to mind...

Comment

• Fast Co.
        Fast Co. commented
        Editing a comment
        Alwyn, I think if you go far enough into the geological record you can find some ancestor of the hen that had teeth. Unfortunately, slot car tires aren't to be found that far back in the record.

Anyway, it's good to know that the lack of EVO in the description doesn't equate to a lack of EVO in the compound, so to speak.

There must be an alternative to Ultragrips
      Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

• Fast Co.
        Fast Co. commented
        Editing a comment
        I may have to test some Slot.It F15s and F22s. I have a bunch of those somewhere.

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        Mega tyre test thread would be awesome and useful.

I don't know when the cutoff between new and old NSR tires occurred, but most of my NSR cars were released prior to 2019 and most tires look more like soft rubber, while a few look sort of like urethane.

Comment

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post
        I don't know when the cutoff between new and old NSR tires occurred, but most of my NSR cars were released prior to 2019 and most tires look more like soft rubber, while a few look sort of like urethane.
        While they may look like urethanes,...........NSR has never produced urethane tires.

Comment

And another word of caution: while the new 5292 (Super) and 5293 (Ultra) tyres for the new Porsche 917/10 are of a very desirable size (21 x 12.5) and the packaging does not mention EVO, I prepped a set and I am pretty sure they are of the new EVO compound. I suspect the lack of EVO designation on the pack might be due to the fact that they are a new size/release and they have only ever been produced in the new compound era, never the old, good compound.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Comment

• Cgyracer
            Cgyracer commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I believe the new upper numbered NSR tires are the new compound as those model numbers just came out the last year or so.

My evacuation luggage in case of immediate wildfire evacuation contains original NSR tires, passports, tax information, and clothes.
          Rob
          Last edited by Cgyracer; August 20, 2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Fast Co.
            Fast Co. commented
            Editing a comment
            Now there’s a man with a strong sense of priorities! 😄

• Pepsi 62
            Pepsi 62 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm Pretty certain that Rob is the ONLY source of non EVO tyres as I remember a photo posted a while back of a huge box of NSR tyres,,,,,,,,more valuable than bitcoin!

Originally posted by Cgyracer View Post
          My evacuation luggage in case of immediate wildfire evacuation contains original NSR tires, passports, tax information, and clothes.
          Rob
          Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

I suppose the positive from all this is that everyone is in the same boat and we all have to either use them or try something else as an alternative

Comment

• docdoom
              docdoom commented
              Editing a comment
              thunder slots are good but only fit one size of rim. try and install in anything bigger that 15 x 10 and you will find they may split.
              slot it n22 work good Slot.It PT1207N22 compound tires, slick. Features tighter inner diameter. May be used on most 15.8, 16.5 and 17.3mm wheels
              slot it F22 have some on order slot.It PT1207F22 compound tires, slick. Features tighter inner diameter. May be used on most 15.8, 16.5 and 17.3mm wheels
              never tryed any scaleauto tires? any good? thought I remember reading that they ball up easy..
              Last edited by docdoom; August 20, 2021, 09:41 PM.

one has think that people in charge at nsr are hearing the issues with these tires and will make changes. well you would hope.but yea maybe Mega tyre test thread should be started..
            THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....

Comment

I am sitting on a supply of original NSR Supergrips, 5206 and 5208. Due to a switch to silicone in my area, I have debated in my mind if I should sell them. Wonder what they may be worth?
              Ken, Gulfside RaceArena, Hernando Beach, FL

Comment

• Brumos RSR
                Brumos RSR commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh…bout 3.50…..

get ready for lots of pm heading your way with that post..

Comment

Our club bought a hundred Thunderslot tires recently and have divid them up. They work great! Also, no splits and rips during truing. $4/pair in bulk.

Comment

• gsnopoint
                  gsnopoint commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which TS did you guys get?

• Aptosc6
                  Aptosc6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  THTYR005RX-100, 50 pairs of slicks, 19.5 x 10.5.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1