Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did ya ever race on the Aurora 1/32 scale track sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did ya ever race on the Aurora 1/32 scale track sets?

The track and cars were kinda of flop back in the day,but....
    How good is the track?It looks well made from the pictures I've seen.Looks like there are just the straights and the regular curves though..
    had a chance to get some to play around with..
    thanks for any info.
    Rusty
    Rusty

Well....
    No, I didn't race on the track but it was pretty decent back in the day, as I recall. I was spoiled, with Marx 1/24.....but the Aurora track was reasonable as I recall. I don't think it's quite as well regarded as the Monogram track, but it's better than the ubiquitous Strombecker and Eldon.

The cars were all over the place. Some of the early 1/32 stuff with brass chassis weren't too bad, and the channel chassis with the Challenger / Super Challenger motors are decent vintage cars. The later cars (Ferrari 612, McLaren M12, and Mirage M2) are pretty good bodies for what they are, but the running gear was/is junk.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

• ourwayband
      ourwayband commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info!

The first version of A Jet track was actually as good or better than Monogram or Revell. They made outside curves and 4 lanes was possible. The cars never appealed to me, although I have a K&B Corvair since that was the first car drove as a kid. This is such good track that I have enough to make a 4 lane "L" shaped track which I will probably never use. It is 3 1/2 lane centers, 14 and 21 inch curves, outside aprons for both curves, and a deep slot. Pretty good track.

For some reason around 1970 Aurora decided to get back into the 1/32 market again. This time they re-designed the track to be wide rail like their HO track. I think there were 3-4 cars as Paul said, they also made the 3 wheel motorcycle/choppers. That style had no success and I've only seen a couple of those sets.

I do know REH bought all that un-used track from Aurora. 10 years ago or so, REH cleared out a building they had and Bob Beers was to run a 1 day sale of the inventory. Cases of that track were in the sale. I think cases of 12 pieces were listed at $3 each or around that much. The sale never happened and I heard all that stuff ended up in dumpsters. Not sure and Haven't talked to BB since back then. Some day maybe I will go to the Chicago show and can find out the what happened at REH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KampB TRIKE.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	108743 Click image for larger version

Name:	K&B Corvair.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	108745
    Attached Files
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

• ourwayband
      ourwayband commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Matt!!

• BIG E
      BIG E commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't say for sure, but knowing the parties involved I'm not a believer of the dumpster rumor.
      I spoke with Bob, contact him at <[email protected]> and he will get back to you with what he has available.
      Hope this helps out. -- Ernie :>)

I had the Aurora / A-FX HO sets when I was younger

Comment

• mattb
      mattb commented
      Editing a comment
      That was their money maker. I started with an AC Model Motoring set around 61-63 or so and later bought the transformer and conversion parts to go dc when they changed over. Over the years there were many versions of "Model Motoring". I'm sure it is how the majority of guys got started.

The one thing as a little kid was how the track was put together/taken apart , for me as a young boy I broke more of the tabs than anything else . After that I gave up on it

Comment

• mattb
      mattb commented
      Editing a comment
      That early track had the pins and joiners. A 9 year old like me thought the locks should be hammered in!!

• Fathead59
      Fathead59 commented
      Editing a comment
      mattb , the one I had , I think was AF/X by Tomy , maybe , they snapped together , and the end tabs kept breaking off . You could buy track clips that you could snap under the joint . It was taking it apart that drove me mad . And I was a young kid at the time , so I just stopped doing it all together
Working...
X
UA-149438709-1