Wendell Scott's Talladega revamp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendell Scott's Talladega revamp.

I was looking a bit more closely at this Torino Talladega and figured there was a bit of room for improvement so I looked up images on the web (as you do) and found this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	file-20150408131230_Wendell_Scott_Auto_Racing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	103917

So into the garage it went and had the wheel arches opened out and longer axles added to bring the wheels out level with the arches. The centre ridge of the hubs was turned down to 17mm and Scalex T/A rear tyres fitted on the front and trued down to 22mm and MJK Scalex GT40 urethanes on the rear. I wanted to emulate (as best I could) the set up and stance of the 1:1 car with the added bonus of having a contender on the track. The window glass was taken out and the wee back side windows cut out and the front and rear mounting tabs removed so the interior could sit up a bit higher to clear the motor and allow for lowering. Needless to say the body posts were cut down to get the whole shebang sitting a bit lower.

And now Wendell Scott is ready to go racing again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMGP9156.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	103918

Last edited by Wobble; June 19, 2021, 04:55 AM. Reason: Spelling and/or grammar

looks great,nice job
    bill ,framingham ma

Comment

Oh yes sir, nice one.
      -Harry

Comment

That turned out very nice indeed
        Its too bad the manufacturers didn’t take this type of approach when designing and producing their cars
        Dave
        Peterborough Ont
        CANADA

Comment

What they all said. Great looking car.
          Arrold Martin
          Nashville TN

Comment

Its too bad the manufacturers didn’t take this type of approach when designing and producing their car
            So interesting story. Ok maybe not....but gonna tell it anyway.

As we know, these cars have been around for a LONG time. The FORD mold from 2004.

Back then, there was not yet the massive photo archive online as there is today. Many of the photos were from cars sitting still at the Daytona preview. As you are aware, the suspension on the cars were setup to have this "rake" so when they got up to speed...well, they certainly compressed due to the aero. The models were made to mimic these photos and not ones at speed, so all of them are a little "high" in the ass

Glad to see more tuning going on. I am doing some myself on the latest models. Still a favorite.
            -Harry

Comment

Cool story This is a good example of just how big mistake it was to let someone like oh shall we say Dave go. His input on the development of cars such as these would have produced a somewhat different and better end product in my opinion
              Dave
              Peterborough Ont
              CANADA

Comment

Phenomenal job!!!!

Also remember gentlemen the bodies are used on several different variants so there are some compromises on design. The body may be used on the street car, a modified or a stock car so one body and multiple tampo changes saves a company time and money. More molds more money.

Comment

They never made a street version of their NASCAR series, did they?

Also, I have noticed several individual features of the cars in the series. I never got around to modeling them, but this is a great example of what can be done. The front wheel openings alone make this a great effort. I bet the wide track makes yours handle better by a long shot.

Comment

• Wobble
                    Wobble commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm hoping the wider track enhances the handling and I'll know real soon.

They did make street versions with the Mopars sir.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mopars12.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	104000

Plus remember they did the ones with the "spinners" and the dirt Charger.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 1.10.04 PM.png
Views:	178
Size:	613.4 KB
ID:	104001

Name:	dchargertitle.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	104002
                  -Harry

Comment

That's right, I forgot all about it (yes, I know... old-ness strikes again!). Do you suppose the Torino street car didn't happen because of the nose modification? It would take a whole new mold to get the hood and grill correct.

Comment

I don't think so. Most folks would not know the difference.

Another story....

Did you know that MANY...and I mean MANY...folks did not know that Carrera made different molds for the Dodge and Plymouth? I will not mention any names...but years after at an event here a couple fellas noticed me tuning the cars. I mentioned the differences and the response was: "What? Where?

Sorry Wobble to hijack. You made a great car. I will self-ban.
                      -Harry

Comment

• Fathead59
                        Fathead59 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Harry , no need to self ban , the way I see it you were just adding to the info of the post

• Wobble
                        Wobble commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Like F59 added, it's all good stuff.

• Fathead59
                        Fathead59 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And Wobble , you can call me Fathead , everyone else does . Its is just a nick name

Ford produced Talladegas for the street, so the nose and grille wouldn’t have presented a problem.
                      Ironically, the Torino was not produced as a street car by Carrera, yet it’s the only vintage NASCAR they produced without windshield wipers and with window retainers, blanked out door handles, and racing fuel filler.

Comment

Looks great. A huge improvement. It doesn’t take much to improve these cars a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the great comments and likes guys. I'm hanging out to give it a bit of track time on Wednesday evening.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1