NSR EVO tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSR EVO tyres

Hoping someone else has come across this.

I was looking for some non-EVO NSR tyres. Typically EVO tyres have the same part number as the original non-EVO tyres just with EVO added to the description.

Except, apparently, when it is not.

I bought some of the new Porsche 917/10 tyres as I like the size AND the replacement tyres (5292 for the Supers, 5293 for the Ultras) do NOT have EVO in the description. I feared that, because they are a new product, they might be EVOs without being described as such. I glued some on wheels and started truing them this morning and, from their behaviour, I am pretty much 100% sure they ARE EVOs. 😟

Anybody else have any experience with these?

Evo Tires are EVIL!!!. Case in point my Group C car should be in a drifting competition. It seems apparent that they may work well with plastic tracks but between truing them (act much like Ultragrips) and running on wooden tracks they both marble and begin to have have a textured appearance. NSR please bring back the original formula. I have EVO EVIL tires if someone needs...would love some original ones if anyone has them lying around.
    Aloha
    Dale

Comment

• SuperSlab
      SuperSlab commented
      Editing a comment
      Fully agree! Seems very much like the same compound as used by BRM/Revoslot: they ball up WAY too quickly

I can’t speak to the nomenclature of NSR’s latest evo tires, but I can tell you that neither I nor the guys I race with care much for them. Bring back the old compound NSR and pay more attention to quality control so the tires do not split while truing and so they do not have deep dimples that require removal of more than a half mm of tire tread.
    Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• SuperSlab
      SuperSlab commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree with your dislike of the EVO tyres, hence my search for the originals. This looks like becoming the next incarnation of people looking for "Old Ortmanns"!

I am fairly new to trueing tires and just bought a bunch of nsr tires and most are EVO and some have very deep dimples on them to say the least...hope they bring up the quality control as I think almost everyone uses nsr rubber....

Comment

• Fast Co.
      Fast Co. commented
      Editing a comment
      The old compound Super Grips gave excellent grip, but to get them properly trued a lot of rubber needed to be removed from the tread. Some of them have been known to split too, at the seam that runs laterally across the tread. I might try experimenting with Slot.It rubber again. I have a good inventory of F15s and F22s.

EVO-lution...more like DEVO-lution

They're crap, sorry that may hurt feelings but lap time is king and these new tyres aren't it.

So let's start talking alternatives for wood tracks...what's the next best, or better still the same best?
    Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

Wow. Just got some delivered, 5213evo. Was looking for a wider tire and haven't purchased NSR tires in a while, mostly use Slot.it
      What is the issue with these?
      "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Glen
      Severna Park, MD

Comment

• SuperSlab
        SuperSlab commented
        Editing a comment
        The new EVO compound tyres are harder to true as they form little gummy balls instead of the fine grains of the original compound. They also tend to form little balls after running a number of laps, losing grip.

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        They also don't respond to the usual oil treatments the same.

Professor Motor told me today it's NSR and they have Expressed Concern's. The Evo tire is the their choice tyre. Lots of Complaints
      Last edited by ALS; June 18, 2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        Compliments or complaints?

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        Well he used concern and complaints in the same post so presume he means complaints.

Thanks Tony hitting the wrong lettersgot to slow down

Comment

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        That how we go faster.

Well, I just bought the darn things, going to give it a whirl ...
      Will there be a recall ??? LOL
      "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Glen
      Severna Park, MD

Comment

Originally posted by gsnopoint View Post
        Will there be a recall
        Welllll, in my case not so much a recall as a re-tire....

Comment

Well that's just great. I have at least 2 proxy cars out there on evo's. Might explain why they are so mediocre.

Comment

I've not been able to get to the root of it, but
            NSR - original formula
            Slot.it N series formula [for N18 and N22]
            Sideways "Hi Grip" formula [for all of hard, medium and soft], were all erased from the various brand's product ranges at about the same time.

There HAD to be a common factor.

Comment

• GT6
              GT6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe one of the base chemical compounds that was formerly used in the manufacture of "rubber" slot car tires is now banned or no longer available and they have had switch to a different formulation? There can't be that many chemical companies fabricating the basic materials that rubber slot car tires are made from, so the chances that all three makers mentioned above source at least some of their components from the same supplier are pretty good.

Possibly all of the tires were made by the same plant in China. I believe that the company that makes the tires does not necessarily make the rubber.

Comment

Sounds like one more parts shortage we can check up covid. May need to have some proxie rule changes made and switch to urethane tires only if these kept up
              THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
              Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Mikeinclover
                Mikeinclover commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know if you want to start using urethane tires. If you remember the little storm that hit Texas, the plant that makes a major component for urethane was there. If you look you will be hard pressed to be able to find any urethane available.

There is definitely a difference between the rubber compound used in the "old" NSR Ultragrips and that used in the new Ultragrip Evo tires.

I took the plunge and glued up and trued up my first set of Ultra Evo tires recently. They glue similarly, but true differently. It is both faster and easier to true a good contact patch on the tire; more like truing Supergrips than the old Ultragrips. I used to have to watch the truing on the old Ultragrips and when (and if) a dark black ring started to appear (a sign of heat-induced melting) I would quickly back-off, wipe the tire down to remove the "greasey" black ring, let it sit over night and then true more slowly until the ring was gone. Not the case with the Evo tires, you can merrily true away on your Hudy without fear of a tire melt.

But, when you put them on a car and take them to the track, you get a disappointment; not the same level of performance as the old Ultragrips - that's for sure!

I agree with others, bring back the "old Ultragrip" tires - they were, performance-wise, vastly superior to the new Evo tires.

I recall when the Evos first came out, there was a lot of questioning about the compound and most of the replies; including if I'm not mistaken from NSR, were that the compound was the same - only the mold had been changed, along with the molding process, to try to get a better contact patch. It appears; at least from my experience, that this is simply not the case.

Too bad - NSR had a very good product there in the old Ultragrips - hard to work with, but very sticky and durable if trued properly. I'll take the longer truing times and the greater level of care in return for more grip in the corners - please!

Allan
              Last edited by Audi1; June 22, 2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1