New Racer/Sideways BMW M6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Racer/Sideways BMW M6

I saw this slot car on E-Bay and I knew immediately I was going to have to get one. I didn't even know anybody other than Carrera was making one, So, where's the review?

Opinions on other forums say the top is pushed down quite a bit from “scale”.

Comment

My son has one. It runs very well on my track. Close (4.38) to track record held by NSR AW Merc (4.32). It is not as powerful, but very smooth.
      Last edited by Bal r 14; June 1, 2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Nothing said so far that would push me away from getting one.

Comment

I had a real M6 that looks to be the same model. The top looks way too low and the wheels and tires are too small in the Sideways model. The Carrera DTM model is much closer to real, if you remove the fender and body extensions.
          Anyway, more about the car... it uses the same chassis and running gear as the Sideways Lambo models, nice angle winder with all metal gears and a very thin gear on the axle, for minimal friction. The orange long can motor seems to be an upgrade from the previous yellow motor. There is nothing on either one that give a clue what it is or what the specs are. The car runs very quiet. The frame has a 3 point adjustment system to allow the motor some suspension... it seems to work nicely. The front wheels could use more travel. Very little tweaking was required to get it to run well. Detail is excellent and the body seems to be sturdier than the Lambo, though the side mirrors break off quite easily. I have 5 Sideways cars and they have all performed well with minimal fuss and maintenance. I do change the guide assembly and add Paul Gage tires. It's a very tight 3 lane routed MDF track, so this would probably not be needed on most tracks.

Comment

One of the all time best 1/32 hard body slot cars, racing wise, is the NSR Mosler. Now everybody knows the NSR Mosler looks like it has been run over by a steam roller but I have 4 and when somebody comes over who wants to go fast we end up getting out the Moslers. Well now we get out the RevoSlots. I switched from 1/24 lexan wedgies 11 years ago and I don't regret the move at all. I like a slot car that resembles the 1:1 car it copies but I still like handling and a certain amount of speed. So I will most likely get the Sideways BMW M6 and won't dwell on the shape exaggeration. Now if there were a local group of racers that prefer running products from Carrera I would probably get the Carrera M6 too but as things stand now I'll be very happy with the Racer/Sideways M6.

Comment

The Jagermeister version has the red can Baby Raptor 17K motor.
              I wish I could buy all Sideways cars with that motor.

Comment

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                So that's what the motor is called.

May I add a few comments. Yes the body specs may not be exact. That being said the BMW M6 is a very s stable platform to work from in either a sideways or anglewinder format. Special attention should be given to the chassis adjustment pods caps that are included. It has a long wheelbase but is complimented by a long rear axle to center of guide measurement. .This should allow it to be a very pleasant car to drive. IMHO the basis of success will be the tires you end up with. Good luck and I believe the Sideways has done a very good job in the design and layout of the car. Aloha Dale

Comment

• Rleog
                Rleog commented
                Editing a comment
                Dale:
                “ . It has a long wheelbase but is complimented by a long rear axle to center of guide measurement”

A long wheelbase car would be expected to have a long rear axle to center of guide measurement, but there can be variation between cars in placement of the guide with respect to the front axle. Is there a particular ratio that you look for between these two measurements (rear axle - center of guide / wheelbase), or do you just eyeball it to see if the center of guide is adequately forward of the front axle?

• Aloha
                Aloha commented
                Editing a comment
                Robert I only look at rear axle to guide post. Your point of where guide post is located in relationship to front axle has some importance as well. I look or a car that transitions well.

Mine was a bit of a disappointment.

The left hand tail light lens was rattling around in the model, on closer inspection it was misshapen and wouldn’t sit properly in the body.

I ended up jamming it in place and hot gluing it.

It was pretty shoddy to be honest, fortunately my Sideways Group 5 cars are quite well made.

Comment

Originally posted by WB2 View Post
                The Jagermeister version has the red can Baby Raptor 17K motor.
                I wish I could buy all Sideways cars with that motor.
                I love the Baby Raptor. I've a Lambo with it and while it loses a bit on the straights it's quicker in the corners (more drivable) than the King which is what it's all about to me.

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1