The Robert Kirby 2005 SCCA FP National Champion Porsche 914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Robert Kirby 2005 SCCA FP National Champion Porsche 914

On April 13, 2005, Robert Kirby, an avid SCCA club racer, died at his desk at an investment company that he helped launch 50 years earlier. Warren Buffet once said of Kirby that, if he ever needed someone to invest his money for him, it would be Bob Kirby. The 2004 Runoffs at Mid-Ohio were his last as a driver. He had won a national championship as a driver; 2005 would have been his attempt to win one as an owner with Mark Hotchkis as driver.

In May of 2005, friends of Kirby gathered in Pasadena to celebrate his life. There a plan was created to campaign Kirby’s 914 for the 2005 National Championship as a memorial to their friend. Kirby’s crew chief Warren Dennis enlisted David Finch, owner of Raetech Corporation, to prepare the car.

With Mark Hotchkis driving at the 2005 SCCA Runoffs, Mid-Ohio

From a SRC 914/6, here is a tribute to Kirby and his 914:

This model was made possible through the generous support of Matt McDonough, the one man show responsible for CG Slot Cars and an SCCA driver in the F2000 open wheel class. Matt vac formed the Ginther windscreen, designed and printed the decals, and developed and 3D printed the unique inserts for the Jongbloed wheels.

An article about Kirby and the development of his car can be found in the June 2008 issue of Excellence, The Magazine About Porsche.

The Kirby family, Mark Hotchkis and friends at Mid-Ohio following the 2005 race.

Kirby’s car is no longer raced but is shown at some Porsche events such as the gathering of air cooled Porsches known as Luftgekuhlt, among others.
    Last edited by Rleog; May 31, 2021, 11:30 AM.
    Bob G. ..... Boston, North Shore

Hi Bob, Looks like SRC have done a very good job on the rendition !!!,............

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

• Rleog
      Rleog commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol
      Thanks

• chrisguyw
      chrisguyw commented
      Editing a comment
      My apologies Bob,........I thought this was directly from SRC,...........excellent work from yourself and Matt !!!

• Rleog
      Rleog commented
      Editing a comment
      Coming from an excellent modeler, that is a very high compliment!

Originally posted by Rleog View Post

Those are sharp-looking inserts! 👌

Comment

• Rleog
      Rleog commented
      Editing a comment
      I know the guy who makes them. PM me for his info.

Matt, that looks INCREDIBLE!! Great job and a great tribute car
    Last edited by Brumos RSR; June 1, 2021, 12:44 AM.

Comment

What a great testament to this individual

Comment

Bob
        That is just perfect and as an SCCA Cen Div regular (88-94) I got to see that car up close on several occasions I don't recall any interaction with Bob, but I can tell you Dave Finch is a great driver an exceptional engineer and he loves all things Porsche. It is a great tribute.

Comment

• Rleog
          Rleog commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Courtney.

Chris Foley and Ed Morrow (TangerineRacing.com) did a lot of work on my 914. Chris drove his 914 at the 2005 Runoffs and was able to closely inspect the Kirby car. He said it was immaculately engineered and perhaps the best 914 that he had raced against. I have never seen the car in person but it, and the story behind it, always intrigued me.
      Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1