Another wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another wiring question

Hey, it's me again... with another odd question. Here is my problem: the skill level of most of the people who use my track is less than desirable. The concept of slowing down before the end of a long straightaway, before attempting to turn, seems to be difficult to grasp. The result is everyone goes off the track at this point. I don't understand it, but it certainly ruins the flow of the race and makes competition a lot less fun. Honestly, I don't know how they can drive real cars. At any rate, I was considering a dead section (or greatly reduced voltage) prior to the end of that straightaway to reduce speed. Has anyone tried something like this?

Either of those ideas would help, but lead-finger drivers would likely just push harder to overcome them and still crash. There really are no shortcuts when it comes to learning how to drive.

When my grandsons started racing on my track they crashed in nearly every corner because their attention was totally on being ahead of each other and not managing their cars. My solution was restating the rules - first one who crashes loses. If they both stayed on for 5 or 10 laps then the first one to complete the race was the winner. So I'd suggest some sort of penalty for crashing. In a club I raced with years ago when a car came off resulting in a track call that car was reset just in front of the lap counter. That meant it lost all of the distance it had covered on that lap, it restarted in the center of the front straight out of the way of cars in the corner, and it was not likely to immediately crash again or cause a crash when the power went back on. A really punitive solution is racing 'crash-n-burn' style - when a car crashes it gets placed in the infield and is out of that race. Some clubs use a token system in which a driver gives up a token each time they crash and when out of tokens their car is retired. Tokens could be handed out on a per race or per event basis. Nerfing a car out of it's slot could also cost that driver a token (or two).

Comment

Turn down the adjustable power.
      Or put masking tape over the last couple of feet of one side of the slot before the corners.

Learning to drive is always the single biggest issue. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

We run one style of race called a "shoot out". 4 cars race and after 2 crash the 2 cars left run a 2 lap run off. It pays to be conservative and stay on the track. Of course, you gt lapped, and you are out. We "crash and burn". If you crash you are out of any race format we run.
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

• Bal r 14
          Bal r 14 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that. That could be real fun with a few good drivers.

One way to make people drive more conservatively is to subtract a lap every time they crash. My HO club has been doing that for years and in addition there is a maximum number or offs allowed before a driver is out of the race. Some people will get the message and slow down a little while others will crash out and no longer be a problem.

Comment

A long time ago I taped over one rail at the entrance to corners to make a "pace car". I used Scotch 88 electrical tape. Might want to give it a try.

Comment

Go digital, or you could zap the offending drivers with a cattle prod when they wipe out, guaranteed to work.
            Allan

Comment

Maybe I am a sadist ( jk ) , but I like the idea of the cattle prod

Comment

Good discussion. A 3 strikes and your out approach might be ideal. Keeps everyone racing as much as reasonable, then sits the problematic ones down for the rest of that race.

Of course we're ignoring the fact that crashing is the best part of slot car racing for some people. While I agree that winning should not be the 'end all be all', neither should creating havoc.

Comment

In an ideal world, digital would be first choice. But given the expense of converting a 3 lane track and 25 cars it would be very expensive. Plus, I'm dealing with guys who seem to have a hard time grasping you need to slow down before corners. Switching lanes seems like just asking for more chaos. Maybe you should lose 1 volt for each crash. I was thinking of individual power supplies anyway.

Comment

• slothead
                    slothead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you go with a system that penalizes too many crashes, maybe drivers can choose their own voltage within limits. Some may need lower voltage setting while learning to drive.
                Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1